The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-15-2003, 11:43 AM

Default Recording help

I was wondering if any fingerstyle players who record at home have an answer to this problem. The technique I use for strumming chords involves me strumming downward with my fingernail while plucking the bass note with my thumb. I developed this technique while learning to play xmas music from a book/cd I aquired a while ago. The guitarist would play voicings such as open 6th string, open 3rd string and open 1st string in open g tuning but it would be strummed not plucked.
I could not play it cleanly while strumming with the thumb plus this would move my hand out of position for what was coming next. It has been very effective for me but when recording it makes a clacking sound, for lack of a better word, which I find a bit obtrusive. I have tried different mike placement as well as sweeping through frequencies with a parametric equalizer but cannot seem to minimize this noise. I am using a C3000B large diaphram condenser mic. It is extremely sensitive. I am wondering if a small diaphram mic would help.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Rich
2018 Peerless Cremona 16
2019 Schecter J4 bass
Old 12-15-2003, 11:54 AM

That sound IMO is the back of the nail hitting the string, before the string rings out! I play a song by Adrian Legg, called "Cogings Glory" Adrian Frails through the whole song, and I can't get it to sound good recorded at all.. You can hear it a little on Adrians recording, but he makes it sound good. I'm sure you know, but Frailing is hitting the down on the strings, with the back of the nail... Think Grandpa Jones.....

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 12-15-2003, 02:18 PM

I dont know what software you are using but, you can try a plugin called "declicker". It helps with excessive pick sounds for me. If you dont get the answer you are looking for here try here.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:23 PM

Patriot,

A small capsule is not the answer. In fact, it would likely make the percussive sound you describe even more intrusive.

The answer lies technique and mic placement. You might start out by close micing somewhere around the 14th fret and putting the second mic out a couple of feet from the soundhole also pointed toward the neck/body joint. There are so many variables that you'll need to experiment like crazy and keep notes with diagrams. For some good insight into mic placement go over to VS Planet and peruse the "Recording Technique" posts.

Best of luck and don't give up.

Peace.

Doc
Old 12-16-2003, 07:30 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. Currently I only have one good mic. More are on my wish list for the near future. I have been placing the mic about 5 or 6 inches from the guitar at about the 12th fret actually facing it about 35 degrees towards the headstock to try and reduce the sound from my picking hand. Does wonders for reducing that muddy sound you can get from micing towards the soundhole but still picks up the sound from the back of my fingernail strumming across the string and quite loudly. Maybe micing farther away would be a better idea but I have to do something about the room first. Hardwood floors, rectangular shaped room. Need to get a rug and maybe something for the corners of the room to reduce harshness. I'll attempt something this weekend and let you know how it turns out.
2018 Peerless Cremona 16
2019 Schecter J4 bass
Old 12-16-2003, 10:35 AM

If you happen to be fortunate enough to have pro tools you can redraw the wave form to take out the clicks.

2003 Taylor 514ce
1987 EF 369 Solid Rosewood Takamine
1969 Yamaha FG180
1986 Fender Strat
1950s Harmony Airline

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell