The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-13-2008, 01:19 PM

Default Should I continue with this original?

I just wanted to know if you guys think I should keep going with this cause it sounds catchy or if I should just start over and try something new! If you listen please tell me what you think I should do.

Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SsTSxXokUM
Old 12-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyG View Post
I just wanted to know if you guys think I should keep going with this cause it sounds catchy or if I should just start over and try something new! If you listen please tell me what you think I should do.
Hi Mike...
Perhaps, write out the lyrics and see if they make sense 'unsung'. Bounce them off people and play it for them too.

Right now it sounds like things jotted down on a note pad, which is what they taught us to do in composition class when we were in school.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-13-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Mike...
Perhaps, write out the lyrics and see if they make sense 'unsung'. Bounce them off people and play it for them too.

Right now it sounds like things jotted down on a note pad, which is what they taught us to do in composition class when we were in school.

Yea, it is jotted down on a notepad and I have already changed a few lyrics since I've made that video, I just wanted to see if people like the melody and what not!

Thank you for your input!
Old 12-13-2008, 09:14 PM

Mike, I really like the way you sing the melody and I like the song I think you should definitely work on it and post a finished polished version. my only advice is take the time to tune your guitar and the sweet sounds you get from it will inspire you.

Takamine TF360SBG
Takamine EF340SBG
Yamaha FG200

http://uk.youtube.com/user/MrLucky923
Old 12-13-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJam923 View Post
Mike, I really like the way you sing the melody and I like the song I think you should definitely work on it and post a finished polished version. my only advice is take the time to tune your guitar and the sweet sounds you get from it will inspire you.
Alright Jimmy, thanks a lot man seems like most people think I should finish it, so I think I might just do that . I just didn't feel like tuning my guitar because I wasnt feeling well and my tuner battery died and I can't do it by ear so I would have had to plug it into the computer, but it will definitely be tuned for the final product!

Thanks again,
Mikey
Old 12-13-2008, 10:54 PM

I find that asking the opinion of others in the middle of the creative process usually kills the creative process. In the past when I've asked others opinion mid-stream, it's because I think I have something really cool--I'm high on the song, and I want the gratification of playing it around before it's finished. That has almost always been a bad idea, because when people start giving input, I realize it wasn't as hot as I thought, and I lose the creative urge to complete the work.

You should finish the songs that speak to you; record the ones you don't on a "sock drawer tape" (mini tape recorder or mp3 recorder or something of the sort) for posterity. I've had scraps of unfinished songs become nice songs when I put them all together.
1916 Martin 2 Uke
1950s Martin 1 Uke
2007 Laughlin 3K Uke
2007 Dominator Spruce Uke
Old 12-13-2008, 11:19 PM

Ahh see I wouldn't know because this is the first time I've asked people how they thought the song was turning out at the beginning of writing it! Hopefully though since most people tell me I should continue I don't lose my creativity and can finish this one. I have a bunch of little scraps that I have a started but I never seem to be able to finish..this one I WILL! Haha I'm determined.

Thanks for the input
Old 12-14-2008, 10:46 AM

Great start, Mikey. I found the tune and the sentiment (and your delivery) very comforting. I often play and sing at a cancer treatment center and a local hospital. I think this would be comforting for both families and patients. Well, maybe not the line "open up your eyes and stare" (that lyric feels a bit too contrived and doesn't seem to work for me in any case)

I hope you finish the song, record it, and let us hear it.

Wishing you and yours a very happy and healthy holidays,

-Dave

Taylor 555 '82
Martin DM '97
Yamaha EZ-AG
Washburn Rover /w Fishman Matrix Infinity UST
Shen SB-100 (double bass) 2010
Old 12-14-2008, 11:34 AM
some guy from NY

I think you ought to keep it and continue. I liked what I heard and think it could be a great song.

BTW, if I'm gonna click on a video from AGF, I'd prefer to see your guitar and your left and right hands in the vid.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:18 PM

Ok guys welllll, I finished the song this morning and here is the final product. I did what you wanted 3rd harmonic and played it where you could my hands, hopefully its what you wanted and Dave the opening up your eyes and staring part has to do with like me being the only one there for them and I dunno its hard to explain haha, but I hope that doesn't change your mind on the song!

Anyways enough blabbering, here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtJ-asUuvD4
Old 12-14-2008, 06:26 PM
some guy from NY

My wife loved it.

You're doing something right. I was playing a Marty Robbins MP3 tonight and she said "Why can't you play like that?!" For you she says "Cool... I really like it!"
Old 12-14-2008, 07:16 PM

Haha, woo! That's fantastic, I'm glad that the songs already starting off getting good reviews

Thanks for listening! Tell your wife thank you for me too!
Old 12-14-2008, 07:29 PM

Nicely done, Mike. I get where you are coming from with the staring bit. Maybe I'm getting obtuse in my old age, but the verse about the break-up just doesn't seem to fit with the supportive theme of the rest of the song.

The only other suggestion I have at the moment, is that you might experiment with a little more extended bridge or something to add some variation to the song. It seems a teensy bit repetitious. 'Course, trying to please everyone is a wild goose to be chased, if ever there was one.

Again, nice job. And JimmyJams is right - tune your guitar. It is sometimes a wondrous thing, how when an instrument sings it can pull a new song right out of you. Keep writing. Don't make us wait too long for the next one.

Taylor 555 '82
Martin DM '97
Yamaha EZ-AG
Washburn Rover /w Fishman Matrix Infinity UST
Shen SB-100 (double bass) 2010
Old 12-14-2008, 08:11 PM

I agree with Mr. Dave. You might want to throw some kind of a bridge into the song. Otherwise, nice job Mikey....
BTW, I could picture someone playing a bit of lead with you on that song and livening it up even more.....

Ryan
Old 12-14-2008, 08:29 PM

Hey thanks Dave and Strummer, I see exactly where you guys are coming from! I really tried to make a bridge lmao butttt I just couldn't seem to figure one out so I worked with what I had =/ maybe next time I guess..or maybe if I figure one out down the road I'll change it!

Thanks a lot for the comments guys, keep them coming, I really appreciate it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell