The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-22-2017, 02:59 PM

Default Which Schertler?

I'm primary a nylon string player who gigs about 4-5 times per month. I have a couple of Taylor Nylons and right now I'm playing through either a Roland AC-60 or Bose L1 Compact. Both do a good job, but I've heard some great reviews about Schertler amps and am considering an upgrade.

I don't have any dealers in my area, so i'll probably have to end up pulling the trigger without trying it out. Not a huge deal.

I play mostly at small bars, wineries and restaurants. I also play 6-7 weddings per year. So having something relatively small for the regular gigs would be great, but of course something that can handle a 200 person wedding as well.

I like to specs of the Unico, but am open to any of their models. I'd love to hear from anyone currently playing through Schertlers
Old 07-22-2017, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Hi Lodi,

I own a JAM 150 and have played many gigs and jams with it. I tested it against several other high end models and found that it was the best for my usage. I'm a singer/songwriter type that strums and Fingerpicks about evenly.

One of the big things for me was to be able to get great vocals with the excellent guitar tone and the JAM does that for me.

I have K&K or Dazzo pickups in my guitars and usually use a Red Eye preamp as well. My guess is that your Taylors have the ES system of some sort.

Schertler has replaced the JAM 150 with the JAM 200 which has a little more power and some added EQ and such. I have not played that model so I can't say if it's an improvement or not.

What I will say is that I was in a music shop the other day and saw one of the new Mesa acoustic amps and played it with a Taylor equipped with the ES2 and it sounded really good. I didn't get to try it with vocals, but I would recommend giving the Mesa a listen if you get a chance.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:02 AM

I play an unico using an om 28 and a bouzouki. It is a great amp! Even did well at an outdoor gig a few weeks back. It sounds great and is very versatile with options that compliment different instruments and mics. I use a dtar solstice preamp which gives some boost. Recommended!
Old 07-23-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStotes View Post
Hi Lodi,

I own a JAM 150 and have played many gigs and jams with it. I tested it against several other high end models and found that it was the best for my usage. I'm a singer/songwriter type that strums and Fingerpicks about evenly.

One of the big things for me was to be able to get great vocals with the excellent guitar tone and the JAM does that for me.

I have K&K or Dazzo pickups in my guitars and usually use a Red Eye preamp as well. My guess is that your Taylors have the ES system of some sort.

Schertler has replaced the JAM 150 with the JAM 200 which has a little more power and some added EQ and such. I have not played that model so I can't say if it's an improvement or not.

What I will say is that I was in a music shop the other day and saw one of the new Mesa acoustic amps and played it with a Taylor equipped with the ES2 and it sounded really good. I didn't get to try it with vocals, but I would recommend giving the Mesa a listen if you get a chance.

Off topic: which pickups do you like better Dazzo or K&K ? Is there a big difference?
Which Dazzo and which K&K?
1976 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman #7670
Old 07-23-2017, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Hey Randy,

I use the K&K Pure Mini and have the Dazzo 70's in my Taylor 910.
They both are very good and the sound is quite close. I will give the nod slightly to the Dazzo's as they are a smidge better without any preamp and it takes slightly less EQ to get the sound I'm after.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification