The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-13-2017, 10:46 AM

Default Nut/Neck width of Classical Guitar

I'm just starting out on classical guitar and have access to 3 different classical guitars. The all have slightly different neck widths - meaning the measurement across the nut and across fret 12. I understand that this is a personal preference but I was wondering what the standard(s) are for such guitars.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Generally 2", but there is no real standard. I've found most classicals made in Spain come standard at 52mm, which works out to be 2-1/16". And yes, I can tell the difference between 2" and 2-1/16" as I have one of each. (smile)

Dave
Old 05-13-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
Generally 2", but there is no real standard. I've found most classicals made in Spain come standard at 52mm, which works out to be 2-1/16". And yes, I can tell the difference between 2" and 2-1/16" as I have one of each. (smile)

Dave
I'm with Dave....I started life as a steel string (narrow nut) player, but since I've made the classical transition, I much prefer the standard 52mm nut widty. I did try the crossover 1 7/8 nut width at first, but soon realize it was way too crowded. Nylon strings are wider than steel strings.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:30 PM

Some of the Cordoba & Takamine classical guitars have 2.06" width at the nut. My GK Pro has 1.96" width.

I also came from the steel string guitar world. Comfort for me also depends on the shape and thickness of the guitar neck.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 05-13-2017, 04:54 PM

I'd call 52mm standard with some at 50mm.

hunter
Old 05-13-2017, 04:59 PM

I agree with Hunter that 52mm is probably standard.

Here is an interesting description of the various shapes & widths available from Cordoba.

http://www.cordobaguitars.com/article.php?articleid=5
Old 05-13-2017, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

In my opinion, it's more important to focus on the string spacing at the nut rather than the nut width itself. Of course, the spacing can be changed with a new nut. Best thing to do is to focus on what string spacing you prefer then choose a guitar with a nut width that will accommodate that.
-Bob
Old 05-15-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
In my opinion, it's more important to focus on the string spacing at the nut rather than the nut width itself. Of course, the spacing can be changed with a new nut. Best thing to do is to focus on what string spacing you prefer then choose a guitar with a nut width that will accommodate that.
-Bob
Do any of the guitar brands offer information on string spacing at the nut so as to allow for eliminating models from or adding models for consideration?
https://www.reverbnation.com/walthuntsman
1992 Seagull S6
2014 Eastman E10SS
Old 05-15-2017, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltH View Post
Do any of the guitar brands offer information on string spacing at the nut so as to allow for eliminating models from or adding models for consideration?
Unfortunately, none that I know of. I think the thing to do is play as many guitars as you can. Take a ruler marked in millimeters (that's they way most people in the classical world measure), and try to determine what your preferred spacing is. Then, usually the only way to learn the spacing while shopping is to ask the seller or dealer to measure or try to find other users on the forums to measure for you.

-Bob
Old 05-16-2017, 04:13 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks - I'll need to process all this information and make comments later.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:12 AM

I agree with Hesson11 on this

My personal preference is for as close to a 2 inch width as possible at the nut on nylon string guitars. Yes, the 1 7/8 width crossovers nuts can be modified to improve spacing and comfort.

I also think that the string spacing at the saddle & the shape of the guitar neck are just as important when considering comfort. But I don't have any dimensions to compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
-Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical