The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-25-2015, 10:16 AM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I'm grateful that Silly Moustache posted the same song, by the same guys, accompanied by a dobro! It reinforces it. If you are not a fan of Hawaiian lap playing, what I wrote won't make any sense to you.

But there is tone that's obviously unique to tricones. There is also a tone that is unique to spider cones. When the song listed is played on the National, I hear the hawaiian influence that is present in Country slide playing much more than when the dobro is playing the same song and some very similar licks. I'm suggesting that the tone of the National is responsible for that.
Got it. Thanks!
Old 06-30-2015, 07:37 PM

As far as strings go the opposite is true, Bronze would give less bass. Nickel is better at disturbing the magnetic field so the bass strings would be more pronounced with nickel. With Bronze the unwound strings tend to be louder on a magnetic pickup, not necessarily a bad thing when you are playing slide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
Nice!

I also prefer the sound of the Tricone.

How do you amplify your Tricone? Looks like you're using a mic.

Right now I'm using a mic too. An old Shure SM57.

I'd prefer to use a pickup but I tried a Schatten and didn't like the sound at all.

The Highlander is over $300. To expensive for me.

I have a Flatbucker on reserve but he has to build some first and the wait might be a couple of months.

Also considering the Lace Ultra Slim and National Slimline.

The concern with any of the pickups is that I don't want to put nickel strings on my Tricone. I like bronze strings but they say that because there are no adjustable pole pieces that bronze will give me to much bass.

DR makes a zebra set that alternates bronze and nickel as the wind.

The SM57 mic sounds pretty good but I'd still like to be able to just plug in.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:44 PM

Hi, I have a 30's brass Fiddle edge Dobro that has a sound somewhere between a Tricone and a Dobro.Search youtube for the great British slide player Sam Mitchell to hear what one can sound like.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:52 AM

Naughty Jack - never heard of him before, but his website is good, as well as his playing.

http://www.naughtyjack.co.uk/

I like this player too -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSK0ZVPsqk8

Interesting slide!

http://jackbroadbent.co.uk/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments