The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-18-2008, 10:15 AM

Default Shows in LA 12/20-12/27?

I will be visiting my family in North Hills over the Christmas holiday and I would like to check out some local music (ha, local probably isn't the correct term in a place like LA). I have kind of been looking around myspace for bands that are playing in the area, but haven't had much luck.

I was hoping for some suggestions from some of our members that are familiar with music down there.

I am looking for any suggestions. Not necessarily just acoustic music. I was hoping for something in the vein of Jack Johnson or pretty much anyone on the brushfire label, but none of them are playing.

Thanks for your help
Rogue Mandolin RM100A
Djembe
Jerocca

www.travelinmike.net
Old 12-18-2008, 01:33 PM

Lot of places to hear music in the L.A. area, though many shut down for the holidays.

Genghis Cohen is a chinese restaurant with a room for up and coming acoustic acts. Inexpensive.

Here's a list of major events that week.

The Canyon club is pretty close to North Hills, but has a sparse schedule that week.

Check out The Mint, The Talking Stick, largo, Hotel Cafe, House of Blues, Hollywood. Universal City has a BB King's with live music, that is near you.

LA Weekly is an excellent source of information on EVERY act playing in town. Try to get a hard copy of the LA Weekly, available free at liquor stores, etc.

For the folk scene there is Folk Scene, and Folk Works has a calendar with jams, open mics and shows.

Do a Google search to find clubs with music in L.A.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.

Last edited by valleyguy; 12-18-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:53 PM

Thank you. That's just the information I was looking for. If you ever find yourself in Columbus maybe I can return the favor.
Rogue Mandolin RM100A
Djembe
Jerocca

www.travelinmike.net
Old 12-18-2008, 04:12 PM

The Witcher Brothers are appearing at Boulevard Music in Culver City on Saturday, Dec. 20th @ 8:00pm.

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell