The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-16-2008, 03:39 AM

Default some (older) originals

One summer, about six years ago, I played a lot of guitar and made up maybe ten or so songs. It was a lot of fun, but one day I realized the songs I was making were probably kind of boring so I quit playing until earlier this year.

I was thinking of trying to do those kinds of songs again, but never let anyone hear them and not sure if there's any kind of potential to the tunes. It was fun trying them, but if they're just bad, I'd like to hear it (and happily stick to paying folk and countryblues type things - at least I know how those songs should sound, I never could trust my intstincts when it came to music). They needed work, but I just never knew how to expand them and add variation. I don't know if it was just my level of playing that was limiting, or just a lack of ideas and inspiration and creativity.

The sound quality is, well, pretty sad. I used an old Ibanez 12 string (6 strings), a Dean Markley soundhole pick up through an electric guitar amp and recorded it onto cassette. It is an actual acoustic guitar, but back then I didn't have something like a Zoom.

Renger's Park
Metzy Boy Meets Babette
Tapir
Orial
Celsius

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 12-16-2008, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

OK Shawlie...
If I had a guitar student pull out 5 or 6 songs developed to the level these were, I'd be really pleased, and suggest an arranging class or collaborative effort to bring these ''seeds'' to fruition.

There is solid evidence in your playing that you can hear and accentuate melodies while sustaining an under-layer of accompaniment. Keep up the good work, and keep exploring.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-16-2008, 11:33 AM

Thanks very much for listening the reply. Feel kind of foolish putting them on here, now I think about it. But I've been messing around with different tunings toady and will try to work on something with a little more interest and less obvious picking patterns (like the folk stuff I usually like to play). I guess it's nice to try different things again.

I do appreciate the feedback, thanks again.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:59 PM

Shawlie, These are really good!!! they make me think of William Ackerman a little bit!! you should definitely work on them, I think there is real potential there!!

Takamine TF360SBG
Takamine EF340SBG
Yamaha FG200

http://uk.youtube.com/user/MrLucky923
Old 12-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

OK--I only listened to the first one. Will try to get to the other ones later.

Very "Windham Hill-esque." I really like it--I'd be proud as hell if I had written this one and could play that beautifully! You should resurrect this one with a higher quality recording!

FEW MINUTES LATER:
OK listened to Orial, too. Very cool. Kind of meditative. Do you still have these songs under you fingers? I would imagine it takes a fair amount of "maintenance" practice to keep these kind of tunes in the repetoire. I think you should re-record them at higher quality and share them with us again!
1950's Hoyer Meisterklasse
2003 Santa Cruz Vintage Artist
2013 Haxton Special (Nick Lucas model)
2019 Fairbanks Nick Lucas
a bunch of other stuff I really ought to sell...
Old 12-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Shawlie, first off thanks for sharing your playing on the forum. Most people don't. As far as the songs go they all start out with interesting ideas but as you mentioned in your post they do not develop much beyond the opening measures. My suggestion is to listen to some fingerstyle pieces you like and analyze them carefully as to how those pieces develop.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Nice work Shawlie. Keep at it.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-17-2008, 03:21 AM

Thanks to everyone for listening and responding. I listen a lot to Will Ackerman, think a couple of those songs use one of his tunings. Not sure what tunings it was anymore (don't remember the tunings for any of them except the first one, because it's like banjo's sawmill tuning - dgdgcd).

It's always been hard to make things develop beyond an initial melody. It's like I can only make songs with "part A" (four measures or so), followed by "part B" (another four) and possibly "part C". But when I hear other songs, it's like "part A" is the whole song - a long, flowing idea without jarring changes just for the sake of a change. But still with plenty of variation and interest. It's like I need to have a resolution to every part within a few measures (like songs for little kids).

It's given me much to think about. I'll probably still play plenty of folk stuff, but will also spend time looking, listening, reading and playing and see if I can't come up with at least one longer solo instrumental piece. If there's "a book in everyone", there must be a least one three minute instrumental in people who like to play guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell