The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-15-2008, 09:02 PM

Default Doing first open mic in a week... Hints, anyone?

I've broken down and agreed to do my first open mic, and first "non-living room" performance period, next Monday. I'm pretty confident with my general playing ability and vocals, but I'm worried about nerves and playing with amplification for the first time.

Any hints on these or just general rookie items? Tuning? Capos that pull sharp? Plugging in without a big pop?

Thanks..

Adam
Old 12-15-2008, 09:34 PM

Previous thread on the subject >> http://69.41.173.82/forums/showthrea...highlight=open
Taylor GA3
Old 12-15-2008, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Hi Adam...
  • Pick songs you can sing in your sleep...songs which don't challenge the edge of your ability...
  • Choose songs others have responded well to...
  • Pick songs without capos
  • Ask for help plugging in (confess your ignorance)...
  • One song too few is better than one too many...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-16-2008, 08:42 AM

Thanks to both of you!
Old 12-16-2008, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpione View Post
I've broken down and agreed to do my first open mic, and first "non-living room" performance period, next Monday. I'm pretty confident with my general playing ability and vocals, but I'm worried about nerves and playing with amplification for the first time.

Any hints on these or just general rookie items? Tuning? Capos that pull sharp? Plugging in without a big pop?

Thanks..

Adam
I like to play early on the list; it minimizes the time for me to get more nervous. I also have to think about not rushing the song. Make sure you keep breathing to stay relaxed.

Take time to get comfortable and get your guitar positioned as you normally play. Sometimes the lighting makes it hard to see the fretboard markers as easily as you see them at home.

Most importantly; remember the audience is generally very supportive and not critical, if you like what you play others will appreciate it as well.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:26 AM

It's going to be interesting. There's an organization called Open Mic Atlanta which runs several OMs around the city. The venue in question is a relatively new Taqueria/Tequila bar within 5 minutes of my house. The OM there is even newer, and apparently they're only attracting 5 or 6 players so far. I could have the opportunity to play for considerably longer than the standard open mic setup, but I don't want to start getting into material that might trip me up.

I went there with my wife and baby last night and had a good time. I met the host and he was extremely encouraging. He even offered to set me up right then with his guitar. I begged off, but my wife promised him that I'd be there, with guitar in hand, next Monday. Apparently she was sick of hearing me talk about playing out and decided to force the issue.

I'm a little nervous, but looking forward to it. Moving off the couch also gives me slightly more leverage with the wife when wanting to buy a new instrument.

Adam
Old 12-16-2008, 10:57 AM

I can remember my first show,it was at a local coffee house and i did a 3 song set.That was my first real show that wasn't some kind of talent contest.The thing to remember is that it doesn't matter how much you try to control your nerves you will be nervous at your first performance.The trick is to find a balance where you can still perform well.I think the nervousness can benefit you in some cases.The extra adrenalin helps to take off the edge a little and make you perform better.Remember while your in the moment to do the songs like you remember how to.Also take a set list with you.Being up on stage has the ability to make you forget the simplest thing sometimes.Take some lyrics if your not sure of the song.And finally be prepared.
Good luck
My Tunes
Facebook
Old 12-16-2008, 12:12 PM

Wish I could remember my first gig ... lost in the mists of time ... I love that feeling, though - the butterflies. It's very rewarding to give your all for your audience and receive their appreciation. Glad you're going for it - music is to be played, for people.

Rock on!

mud

"Do ya want it to be interesting, or do ya want it to be true?"

"So far, it's neither."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell