The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-21-2023, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
I was in the same place after I bought my 250 ohm phones. Did I need to keep them? No, but I had a sparsely informed belief that I’d get more subtlety from properly driven high-impedance phones than from a low-impedance version of the same or comparable product that is targeted for use with mobile devices. I never put that belief to any tests, just swallowed what I read in reviews and tech notes. (It might well be pure bunk; to this day, I don’t know.)

So I forged ahead and bought yet another piece of gear, the Magni 3+ amp. The marketing copy said all the right things. (There I go again.)

Now I suspect the high impedance phones are simply made for the higher output voltage put out by pro interfaces and intermediate gear like Motu.
Hi Jim, The headphones were a gift from my son and I would like to try and get them working to the best of their capabilities. But it looks like I would have to pay out for an expensive headphone amp. The main use would be tracking/recording and as an outright novice, I'm taking on board the knowledge of you AGF guys. I have sent for a cheapo set of headphone amps that states 16 to 600 ohms capacity they arrive today... Alan
Old 11-22-2023, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsmarle View Post
Hi Jim, The headphones were a gift from my son and I would like to try and get them working to the best of their capabilities. But I would have to pay out for an expensive headphone amp. The main use would be tracking/recording and as an outright novice, I'm taking on board the knowledge of you AGF guys. I have sent for a cheapo set of headphone amps that state 16 to 600 ohms capacity they arrive today... Alan
Hi Just to let you know the cheapo headphone amps (quoting a spec of 400 to 600 ohms arrived, and they were not as good as my Behringer Ha400, so I have returned them today
Alan
Old 11-22-2023, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsmarle View Post
Hi Just to let you know the cheapo headphone amps (quoting a spec of 400 to 600 ohms arrived, and they were not as good as my Behringer Ha400, so I have returned them today
Alan
Read about the Magni 3+. Not cheapo, but not Neumann or Neve.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 12-21-2023, 08:32 AM

Hi Just to report back, I have received my Headphone Amp the 'Schiit Magni +' and I am delighted with it. Clean sound with additional volume. certainly a much improved clearer sound than the Behringer HA400 amp (which is over ten years old and has been a good reliable unit)

Alan
Old 12-21-2023, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

Nice to hear from another happy Schiit customer.

(What were they thinking? What kind of name is that?)
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD