The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-12-2011, 09:36 PM

Default Kodak Zi8

What's up with the price on these video cameras all of a sudden? It looks like Kodak has quit making them. I got one last year for cheap and love it so much that I want another one. Now they have more than doubled in price! They were great little budget video cameras that allowed manual external mic control.

Adam's Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/jbodurell
Taylor 314ce
Taylor Baby 301-M
LP Sunburst Studio
Fender 60th MIM Strat
Yamaha FG-340II
Yamaha CG-100A
Yamaha F-310

Last edited by Memphis Jim; 10-13-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:39 PM

I guess Kodak just underestimated its potential when they first introduced it. And later on realized how good it was for the money! So they re-adjusted the price now. Demand-Supply is what it is!!

I have 2 of them, I bought them when they were CHEAP, I'm using them for mainly video and connected the other external mics to it. Couldn't be any happier considering the price
Old 10-17-2011, 03:04 PM

Default Olympus LS-20M

Any thoughts...compared to the Zoom?
Old 10-17-2011, 05:01 PM

Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread. I thought I started a new thread.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benybrady View Post
Any thoughts...compared to the Zoom?
Which Zoom you're talking about?

If it is Zoom q3hd I can give you some opinions. I'm currently using Zoom q3hd as the external mic for Kodak Zi8.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:43 PM

I think they stopped making them. I got my first one from Amazon, and now looking on Amazon, I see them not being sold by Amazon anymore - just other sellers through Amazon. Yet, Amazon carries all of the other Kodak shoot-and-share cameras.

I was looking for a second Zi8 this week and ended up getting a Kodak Zx3, and found the picture quality comparable. It was $107.50, which, I think, is less than I paid for my Zi8. The Zx3 is smaller and waterproof.

It does not, however, have the external mic input. What's funny is - that's the reason I bought the Zi8 in the first place, but then never used it (I record audio from other sources). However, I did like the camera itself enough to buy another Kodak.

If you must have the external mic input, the Creative Vado 3rd gen has one, and it can be had really cheap...~$55. However, it only does 720P and doesn't use SD cards (memory is onboard).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD