The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-30-2010, 06:18 PM

Default Difference between GA8e and 814ce

Other than the cutaway, price, bling, possible the wood grade, is there any real differences that should inspire me to spend more on the 814. I know they are beautiful guitars. The reason I'm asking is I'm pretty sure I'm going to order a GA8e, because I really can't afford the 814ce, and really can't ever justify buying a guitar that nice based on my level of playing. I tried a 814ce a year ago in a store while I was traveling and that tone was unbelievable, it was not BZ just Indian Rosewood, but it really caught my ear. With that in mind I since owned a GC8, I didn't like it, the sound was too narrow for me, sounded tight, compressed like. I traded it off. So what do you think is it probable that a GA8 will sound very similar to a 814ce, I know every guitar is as different as the trees they are made from. opinions??????????????????????? Thanks guys, I value your opinons. Jim <><
DY-38 Alvarez Yairi
DY-45 Alvarez Yairi
DY-52 Alvarez Yairi
DY-59 Alvarez Yairi
DY-77N Alvarez Yairi
Dy-84C Alvarez Yairi
Takamine Beater
Martin 000-18 retro
Old 03-30-2010, 08:22 PM

I'm not sure about the differences between a GA8e and an 814ce, but I've spoken to a couple of Taylor's employees about the differences between a GA3e and a 314ce.

-There is a difference of thousandths of an inch between the two models. (I believe this to be true when comparing an acoustic guitar to a comparable ce version). The GA3e is thousandths of an inch thinner than the 314ce. Their reasoning had to do with the 314ce being used more for plugged in use and how it is done this way to optimize the tone when plugged in.

-The GA3e will be slightly louder acoustically (I believe from having slightly thinner wood).

-There will be less feedback with the 314ce than the GA3e (not sure why).

When I've compared differences between my GA3 and 314ces, I find my GA3 has a little more noticeable bass than the ce version.

Perhaps these differences would also apply to a GA8e and 814ce.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:05 AM

What Ichthus said makes sense, although I can't confirm. What I can say is that although there may be minute differences, the tone of both guitars should be practically the same - minus the differences you would get between guitars of the same model due to wood variances.

Have you considered getting a GA8 and adding a pickup? Just one other option.

BTW, Great guitar!
Old 03-31-2010, 10:57 AM

Hi Jim,

I know Taylor makes a point of the "Acoustic" series being thinner, and therefore more responsive, than the corresponding Acoust/Elec model. Not to mention the cleaner "bling-less" aesthetics to appeal more to the "traditional" player. They clearly wanted to react against the "Taylors are those plug-in cutaways..." sentiment and re-assert their "acoustic guitar" company soul, if you will, by marketing the GAs, GS, etc as such. I know my GA7 resonates and projects like nobody's business, but as for doing anything "better" than its 714 brother, who knows! And yes, I've played other 714s, but never alongside my own GA7E, so have really no idea as for a strict A/B comparison, and even if I did how much validity would that one comparo have, anyway?

My suggestion is if the the 8E is what you can afford, it is no "less" a guitar by any stretch of the imagination, and certainly requires no excuses! Fewer visual appointments is a negative to some (like the marketplace, in general), but a positive to others. Consider the two models as cutaway and visual diffs alone and I think you'll be very happy at owning the GA8.

Edward
Old 03-31-2010, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

I've had several 814CE's and now have a GA8E and I really don't notice a difference in the way they sound. Actually, my Ga8 sounds more like one 814CE that I had than another 814CE that I had that didn't sound like either of them. I would say the wood grades are comparable, but I suspect the 800 series may get slightly higher graded wood (just not sure on that one).
Old 04-01-2010, 12:15 AM

You should contact Taylor c.s. I'm sure they would be more then helpful with the differences in specs. As far as the playability or sound if the two, that will just depend on your preferences. Are you comparing a specific guitar that you have already tried, or are you just comparing the two models in general ? As far as that goes, side by side 814's will not play or sound identical nor will GA8's either. If you are merely ordering a guitar in hopes of it being exactly what you are expecting, you might get what you want, you might not. With that said, you should start your search by test driving, then decide for yourself. You might find a used 814 in your price range that already has that broken in tone that we all seek. It seems also that you are looking for a Rosewood model, you might also find a 414LTD with Rosewood which could be similiar to an 814. Whichever you decide on, you won't be going wrong, that's for sure !

Happy Hunting
Old 04-01-2010, 03:50 AM

Thanks Guys for the help. I called Jim at Guitar Rodeo, asked him the same questions, he clearly and informatively advised me as to the differences. He said that the GA8 and the 814CE have the same bracing, while the 414CE ltd has a different style, therefore the GA8 would be more likely to sound more like a 814CE, and the 414CE ltd less likely. Then he really got me excited, he reminded me of his trade up policy Woohoo!, almost ran off the road... I am trading in my 314ce and buying the 814ce which would have been my first choice, except for financial reasons I just couldn't swing a straight out purchase of an 814CE. If you know anyone who is in the market for a really nice 314CE, contact Jim @ GR, in a couple weeks, he'll have mine, it is an outstanding one! Per forum rules I am not interested in selling my 314CE, so I did not post a price, contact Jim if your interested. Thanks Guys, Jim <><
DY-38 Alvarez Yairi
DY-45 Alvarez Yairi
DY-52 Alvarez Yairi
DY-59 Alvarez Yairi
DY-77N Alvarez Yairi
Dy-84C Alvarez Yairi
Takamine Beater
Martin 000-18 retro
Old 04-01-2010, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpepsiguy View Post
Thanks Guys for the help. I called Jim at Guitar Rodeo, asked him the same questions, he clearly and informatively advised me as to the differences. He said that the GA8 and the 814CE have the same bracing, while the 414CE ltd has a different style, therefore the GA8 would be more likely to sound more like a 814CE, and the 414CE ltd less likely. Then he really got me excited, he reminded me of his trade up policy Woohoo!, almost ran off the road... I am trading in my 314ce and buying the 814ce which would have been my first choice, except for financial reasons I just couldn't swing a straight out purchase of an 814CE. If you know anyone who is in the market for a really nice 314CE, contact Jim @ GR, in a couple weeks, he'll have mine, it is an outstanding one! Per forum rules I am not interested in selling my 314CE, so I did not post a price, contact Jim if your interested. Thanks Guys, Jim <><
oldpepsiguy - sounds like a great ending! I've heard nothing but great things about Jim and he does have a great trade up policy. Enjoy the new 814ce!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion