The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-15-2018, 07:45 PM

Default Caldwell OM28 Build Thread

Hello AGFers,
I'm Ryan from a faraway country but like playing guitars as all of you do. I play blues and rags a lot although it's not so popular here.
I have several Martins and suddenly one day an idea came up to my mind that why not try a custom build for my own. I chose Caldwell guitars by Jimmy all because the good sense on vintage sound and the fabulous craftsmanship.
The guitar I ordered is based on pre-war Martin OM28 with master grade Adi+BRW except for the softer neck profile and a torch inlay on the headstock. Jimmy offered the best material and I can even imagine how nice it will sound.
I will update the pictures when it's possible and would like to discuss with you. By the way, if my poor English makes you confused, it means no offence.

Last edited by uiberyan; 03-15-2018 at 07:57 PM. Reason: pictures
Old 03-15-2018, 08:08 PM

Woods come first

Old 03-15-2018, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

Looks great!
Old 03-16-2018, 02:29 AM

Default 2018.2.6

The top and back are in the shape, and I can see the quality. Nice to see the ebony fingerboard with beautiful diamond&square inlay too. Next step will be voicing the top and bending the sides. Can't wait to see.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:43 AM

I can't see that last set of pictures for some reason. Jimmy Caldwell is a great guy and a fine craftsman. I'm excited for you!
Old 03-16-2018, 03:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Congrats. Jimmy builds outstanding guitars. Are you getting a "bird's beak" peg head joint? Its a work of art!
Old 03-18-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Congrats. Jimmy builds outstanding guitars. Are you getting a "bird's beak" peg head joint? Its a work of art!
Thanks Mr. Mcknight, you truly make fantastic guitars! Havn't tried a bird's beak yet and maybe next time! I'll remember it and thanks for the suggestion!
Old 03-18-2018, 07:50 AM

Default 2018.3.5

The woodworking phase of the guitar was comlete and I can even imagine the vibrates. The figure on the sides isn't seen very often and I like it! Next step will be the neck phase.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop