The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-19-2016, 02:27 PM

Default Englemann spruce tops BLACK SPOTS??

Hi Guy's

I pulled out some AAA (spruce)tops that I had supplied by a well know dealer.

There seems to be some black spots,any ideas?
I know these may sand out but was thinking it may be a m.c problem from purchase.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:52 PM

I may be way off base but this looks like a bit of mold and I think it will be gone when you thickness the top. I would take a plane and try that surface. A good idea is to sticker your wood when you first get it to allow it to come to the RH of your shop.
Tom
Old 02-19-2016, 06:00 PM

Default My guess

If there are some of these 'black spots' in an area that will be cut off, maybe a dose laundry bleach on one of them will tell you if the spot is mildew, as bleach kills mildew instantly on contact. BUT I HAVE NEVER TRIED THIS ON GUITAR WOOD.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Sand or scrape a little spot and see. It's most likely spatter from something else. I have done that to an unsanded top before too.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yes, looks like mold. If they are thick enough, sand them before you store them, less nooks and crannies for the mold to grow. could help.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:53 PM

I find it odd that they(Tone wood dealers) would ship these with a mc that would allow for this to happen when stored.

Anyone else have this problem with tops they purchased?
Old 02-20-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codfather View Post
I find it odd that they(Tone wood dealers) would ship these with a mc that would allow for this to happen when stored.

Anyone else have this problem with tops they purchased?
I bought some tops like that which were discounted. The spots were not too deep and sanded out easily. I wouldn't want to store them like that for a long time, since I'd be afraid the spots would penetrate more deeply.

If you are concerned, talk to the supplier BEFORE you begin sanding them. The suppliers I use have been very good about returning/replacing wood.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 02-20-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't want to store them like that for a long time, since I'd be afraid the spots would penetrate more deeply.
They won't unless the wood gets wet. The conditions that promote this are threefold: warm, wet, and laying two pieces together with no dry sticks in between. IMHO, surfacing the wood will not prevent the growth of mold.
Hopefully, the spots are not too deep and will sand away. There are nasty chemicals that will completely bleach out the spots, but ordinary household chlorine bleach is pretty effective.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair