The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-30-2024, 02:53 PM

Default David Grier

I just got tickets for my son and me to go see David Grier, the flatpicking legend, at Harry's Guitar Shop in Raleigh, NC, on April 12th. He is also doing a workshop there on the 14th, but I cannot make that.

I am pretty stoked. I saw him once back in the 90s with the group Psychograss, and they were incredible. And he is simply one of my all-time favorite flatpickers. Harry's is a really small place, so it will be unquestionably intimate and personal. I will offer a review of the show after I see it, for anyone interested.

And if you don't know who David Grier is, YouTube now, lol!
Old 03-30-2024, 05:28 PM

Here is a good example of David Grier's talent and ability: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U54WTozvOvE
Old 03-30-2024, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

David Grier is a phenomenon. He is so musical and so accomplished, and entirely self-taught. Musical genius will work its will.
Old 03-30-2024, 05:44 PM

He's pretty darn great. I'm glad he's still performing. He used to be talked about all the time on a flatpicking forum, but he's slipped under the radar (or mine at least) for quite a few years. Very much worth seeking out and seeing live.
Old 03-30-2024, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma5 View Post
David Grier is a phenomenon. He is so musical and so accomplished, and entirely self-taught. Musical genius will work its will.
What's self-taught? His dad was an accomplished bluegrass musician and David was brought up surrounded by the music and musicians like Clarence White and Tony Rice and others. Seems like his story, as far as imbibing bluegrass guitar goes, is similar to that of many others of the realm! And yes, the result is another great musician.
Old 03-30-2024, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma5 View Post
Well, his dad was the famous banjo player Lamar Grier. I am guessing David learned a fair bit from his dad and his dad's friends and bandmates.
Old 03-30-2024, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

I saw him in Brevard NC at Bryan Sutton’s guitar camp a couple years ago….hes amazing!

1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 03-30-2024, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

He picks the best recorded version of Gold Rush I’ve heard, imho. Unique! And very full sounding for a single guitar. His videos on Cracking the Code are really interesting to watch for right hand technique.
Old 03-31-2024, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
He's pretty darn great. I'm glad he's still performing. He used to be talked about all the time on a flatpicking forum, but he's slipped under the radar (or mine at least) for quite a few years. Very much worth seeking out and seeing live.
I am not really sure what he's been up to in the last few years. He had a band with Stuart Duncan (whew!) for a little while, and they put some videos up on YouTube. He also released an album a few years ago in which he sings on some of the tracks, and that's pretty new. He's getting a bit older, so I guess he's slowed down a bit. I am pretty stoked to see him, though. And the venue is a small, independent guitar shop, and there's no way you could fit more than 50-75 people in there max.
Old 03-31-2024, 08:29 AM

saw him last November in Chattanooga. He had mandolin player Mike Compton with him. Amazing performance. Does anyone know of a concert schedule for Grier. Nothing on his website. Help please.
Old 03-31-2024, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

David is such a wonderful guitarist - and a great sense of humor, as well!

Glad to hear that he's still out there playing... although I'm sure he would enjoy a bit more media attention, I get the feeling that he really doesn't care much for that aspect of music..

I first heard him when a friend gave me copies of an impromptu show that David did with Chris Thiele - they had met while on a recording project and somehow ended up driving together "back home". David called a friend who had a small club and, voila! They showed up and played for hours... my friend had copies of the soundboard feed for the entire show. Amazing playing and hilarious commentary from the two of them!!!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 04-01-2024, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Big fan of David Grier….enjoy the show..
Old 04-03-2024, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
Big fan of David Grier….enjoy the show..
Thank you. I am looking forward to the show quite a lot. I will write a review after I see him next week.
Old 04-03-2024, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
David is such a wonderful guitarist - and a great sense of humor, as well!

Glad to hear that he's still out there playing... although I'm sure he would enjoy a bit more media attention, I get the feeling that he really doesn't care much for that aspect of music..

I first heard him when a friend gave me copies of an impromptu show that David did with Chris Thiele - they had met while on a recording project and somehow ended up driving together "back home". David called a friend who had a small club and, voila! They showed up and played for hours... my friend had copies of the soundboard feed for the entire show. Amazing playing and hilarious commentary from the two of them!!!
That show used to be on YouTube and just randomly disappeared. I remember that it was really killer, and the two of them pushed each other; and it's rare for anybody to match chops with Thile! I have looked around for the show, but I haven't found anything. Oh, well.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:24 AM

Yeah great player for sure. I always thought of him as the next singular flatpicker that came after Tony Rice. Lots of great players these days but his crosspicking in particular is pretty much non pareil. The first time I saw him was in the late 80s or early 90s with Tony Trishka. I've seen him a couple times solo in the last 20 years. There are a few youtubes of him talking about how he crossed paths with Clarence White from an early age. He actually knew Roland better, as he was a frequent guest at the house growing up. There is one story of him as a kid jamming with Roland in a hotel room with Clarence in the adjacent room with an adjoining door open, and he played a lick he heard Clarence play at a show the week before, and Clarence comes running in demanding to know where he learned that lick. I think Clarence also even offered to buy him a nicer guitar at one point

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic