The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 06-03-2017, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Default 2014 Jim DeCava Auditorium in spruce/maple $450 shipped

Looking to sell a nice Jim DeCava auditorium model completed in 12/14, which is his OM-ish body style. I was told the top is adirondack, but I am not 100% convinced, and the back, sides, and neck are really nice flamed maple. I has a nice burled headstock veneer, and non-burled bindings and rosette which I assume are of walnut, but also am not sure.

This guitar is completely playable as is, but definitely is players grade. These are the known issues:

1) Usual assorted dents and dings
2) finish wear in a very low strum position below the bridge on the treble side
3) a long finish crack running the length of the top on the treble side (one half inch or less section appears to show a bright spot with a light test, but it passed a naphtha test along its entire length, so it appears to be an anomaly in the wood rather than a crack.
4) The bridge is lifting at the lower corners (treble side more than bass side), but it appears stable.
5) The saddle is impossibly low. The string holes in the top have keyhole slots, so there is good break angle, but the saddle should be replaced (I have a new one to include for you to install at your preference)
6) The backstrip is a walnut?/maple/walnut? veneer with finish cracks running the entire length.
7) A small crack at the tip of the truss rod cover to the screw hole (assuming the screw holding the cover was overtightened at some point). I am happy to glue it up for you and am confident it wouldn't leave a trace
8) The bridge is strangely mottled. It appears to have been made this way, but I cannot imagine a luthier that would do this. The person I got it from said it was snakewood, which it clearly is not. Poor quality photos from far enough away made it look this way when I purchased it online, but this was clearly because of the mottling.
9) Some frets appear to have ground down a little bit. They all have some life left, but would need replacing in the coming years.

Please see the pictures in the second post for these issues. Again, this is 100% playable, but I am thinking a new saddle and a good set up would get it closer to up to snuff. A bridge reglue and frets would also help but at this point are not necessary.

The tone is actually quite nice. I have kept this as my take-out-of-the-house guitar because I am not worried about marking it up. It has had nothing but 1 or 2 notches up from completely dead strings on it since I have taken ownership, and it still sounds good. It is surprisingly full, but quite bright and fundamental-forward (thanks maple!).

Measures as follows:
Scale length: 25.24" (I can remeasure is that seems weird)
Nut width: 1.75"
Saddle spacing: 2.125"
Upper bout: 11.5"
Lower bout: 15.0625"
Body depth at heel: a hair shy of 4"
Body depth at endblock: 4.25"

New builds start at $3250, but given the issues, am offering it at $700+fees/shipping OBO. Considering that you can get old Taylor 100 and 200 series in worse condition off the wall at Guitar Center for the same price, I think it's a good deal, but I'll let potential buyers decide. Comes with an ill-fitting, non-deluxe, cheapo hardcase with 3 poorly functioning latches. It stays closed and gets the job done.

The price is now $500 + shipping/fees

Please PM questions, offers, etc. or email to me at gandhi85 AT aol DOT com

Last edited by gandhi85; 09-19-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

scuff in the finish on the back (lighting adjusted)

top dings (lighting adjusted)

strum wear on the top in the spotlight

finish crack. this runs the entire vertical length of the top and was tough to photograph. I had to adjust the lighting, and you can kind of see where the spotlight warbles along the grain where the arrow is pointing

weird mottling

low saddle

but good break angle

bridge lifting

truss rod cover crack

backstrip finish cracks (lighting adjusted). these run the entire length of the backstrip.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

happy to make a quick sale, so don't be shy to offer
Old 06-05-2017, 05:58 AM

Tell me more about the saddle issue...is the neck angle ok? What is the string height at the 12th fret? From the pics, it appears like the neck needs reset, and that is why the saddle is so low. Is that the case?
Old 06-07-2017, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Neck angle appears to be ok, but will investigate further for anyone interested. Action measurements, etc. to follow ASAP.

Dropping the price to $500 plus shipping
Old 06-07-2017, 11:09 AM

still interested, but waiting on more neck angle info. Also, perhaps a few shots of the interior, bracing, etc, if possible.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Hey tom-- responded but just didn't want to miss anything so let me know.

All PM's returned
Old 09-19-2017, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Probably needs a neck rest.....$450 shipped
Old 09-20-2017, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

looking for a good home
Old 09-22-2017, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

5th wedding anniversary bump for a nice player here
Old 09-23-2017, 03:20 PM
Charter Member