The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-07-2002, 12:38 PM

Default Anyone know about powered speakers?

Currently, I mic my Goodall, mix that with my vocal and feed the (unpowered) mixer output to my Peavey KBA30 acoustic amp, which has both mic and guitar inputs. It works, but the frequency response of the Peavey is limited and the guitar sound suffers. I could just put my nice Behringer mixer in the closet and buy a small PA system, I guess, but I've been thinking about feeding the mix into a powered speaker, e.g., JBL EON10, EON15, or Yamaha MS400. Does anyone have any experience using powered speakers, or better advice about how to skin this cat? Thanks.
Old 03-07-2002, 12:51 PM
.tom the übergeek

My preference is away from the 15" speakers. I would consider a Mackie SRM450 12" and Horn.
Old 03-07-2002, 01:17 PM

Much depends on how much power and flexibility you need (not to mention how much money you want to spend). For a medium size 20-channel portable system, I went with the JBL Eon G-2 powered speakers as the mains: plenty of power, good response from top to bottom, and a built in 3 channel mixer on each G-2. Often, I'll use one of them as a great sounding mini system: solo mic, guitar and CD player. Not bad for a 47 pound single package.

I tried the EON10's, but felt they didn't offer the bottom end I wanted when I played a tape or CD, and they didn't offer the option of becoming a main speaker in a larger system.

The G-2's fit my needs perfectly. Oh, and they're tough, too. Last weekend, a friend dropped one about 8 feet off a speaker stand onto a carpeted floor. Not recommended, of course, but I couldn't find ANY evidence of this accident, sonically or physically. Do not try this at home....

cotten
Old 03-08-2002, 01:26 PM

I used the EON G2 10's a couple of weekends ago. I thought they did a fine job, but I guess that depends on your needs. I have heard great things about the MAckie SRM 450's including their abliity to be passive or powered. I don't beleive the EON G2's give you that option. If anyone knows please let me know.

<><
Ron
Lonesome Picker (NC)
Old 03-09-2002, 12:12 AM
.tom the übergeek

I am afraid you have the Mackie info a little bit wrong.

The C300 is the passive version of the SRM450. The Active speaker cannot be run in passive mode.
Old 03-09-2002, 12:35 AM

I personally think the EON 10 lacks a bit in the low end when played with my 810 (sounds great as a monitor though). I like the 15, but haven't tried the Mackie 12.

Ken

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification