The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-14-2016, 11:49 AM

Default Kevin Michael

Just curious about why I see so little content here about the KM series guitars. does anyone on the forum here own one? It seems like a quality guitar maker like McPherson would be right up on top of the list.
I know their wood guitars are very expensive so wondering if the premium price is a stopper? From what I could tell from the NAMM videos they sounded very nice and have some innovative ideas such as the top not being flat and bracing which I notice most don't have.
Just looking for observations and opinions as I have not found a really good sound clip, most have background noise.
Have any of you found it problematic going down to a 24" scale length when switching from a regular length? I presently play the 24 3/4" scale daily but wondering if the frets are spaced differently on these extremely short necks?
I notice the Sable is using a full 251/2" scale that may not fit into the travel guitar bracket.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:58 PM

There's a lot of interest in them. But they are still very new and pretty expensive. I just don't think many people here have bought one.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

I'm interested in this question too...About the only thing I've seen here is one that was played in a GC and the guy hated it. Good feedback i guess, but don't mean much to me since I've played some great Martins and Gibsons in GC that sounded like crap too. I hope you get some good replys.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:28 PM

I thought the KM sounded wonderful, but I'm only interested in guitars with a scale length between 24.5" and 25.5". I haven't had an opportunity to play the Sable.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2 View Post
. . . I'm only interested in guitars with a scale length between 24.5" and 25.5". . . . .
Why is that? I'm curious.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

No experience with KM, but I find the 24" scale on my Emerald X7 to be very comfortable. Going back to a 25.5" scale now feels like a lot more work. I have a couple 24.875 scale guitars (wood and CF) and really don't notice much difference between that and 24".
Old 08-15-2016, 04:59 AM

I played a Kevin Michael Touring in sam ash last week, for about 20 minutes. I really liked it a lot! The neck was very comfortable to me, and irregardless of it being carbon fiber, it was one of the best small travel guitars i have ever played, tone wise. The tone was great especially fingerstyle. The only turnoffs for me is the high price tag (2400) and the short scale(22.75?). If it was cheaper and a 24 inch scale i would buy one immediately. I am still considering one!
Old 08-15-2016, 06:42 AM

Yes I can confirm that the Kevin Michael Touring has a 22.75 inches scale, not 24. It is the same scale length of the CA Cargo. I played the guitar (used) at my local Guitar Center and although I have no problems with a 24 inches scale (as my current Emerald X7 and a Martin Dread Jr that I owned for a few months ) I must say that a 22.75 inches scale is really quite small and unless you have small hands it could be uncomfortable.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:27 AM

Your remarks kind of follow my thinking about scale length, my main and only guitar is short scale but 24.9" and I find it perfect. It also has the 13/16 nut which I love. I think 22" is an awful short neck and would require a lot of adjustment when changing back and forth.
If the Sable had been made with the 15" body but the shorter scale I would already own one. The 25.5 scale length as with Cpt. Jim, for me is a complete turnoff. I also prefer 12 frets to the neck. Too much string tension for my old hands. The other thing I notice is weight,,while most are feather lite the Sable is 6+ lbs. if the specs I saw are correct, that's very heavy.
In my opinion they missed the mark, one too small, one too large, and left the middle open. I think a short scale with OO size body made by McPherson would have been killer!
I played long scale necks and narrow width nuts for 30yrs never knowing any different. Once I got my hands on the smaller guitars things changed for the better.
My original post was intended to get opinions as I actually considered the Sable but the more I dug information the more I backed away. Tone wise I think Kevin Michael from the videos I've seen hit it right out of the park.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:42 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Jmo, if Emerald guitar designs appeal to you, you may want to communicate with them. If any builder can dial-in your specs, it's Emerald, and in an ergonomic and lightweight package, and in the scheme of things, affordable.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:03 AM

When I was looking for a CF travel guitar, I played the KM and a CA Cargo at the same store. I didn't notice a big difference in sound but I have to admit the sound wasn't a big concern as no smaller travel guitar is going to sound as good as my full size Rainsong, and I only need the travel guitar to practice when I'm on the road (most of the year). I found the playability and quality of each to be very similar. The biggest difference of course was the price! $2300 for the KM and $999 for the Cargo (at the time). That made it a no-brainier to me. Even with the new pricing on the Cargo, I didn't feel the KM offered anything for the extra $1000, but I stress that opinion is for what my needs were for a travel guitar.

As far as the short scale, I'm not a big fan. I have small hands and like a thin neck, but I capo a lot up to the 3rd fret and even with smaller hands, the fret spacing makes it difficult to play some chords, there's just not a lot of room (I'd probably deal with it better if I didn't switch between full and short scale all the time).

I've been happy with the Cargo for the 2 years I've been traveling with it and if anything were to happen to it, I'd buy another one.
2012 Fender American Standard Strat
2015 Fender American Standard Telecaster
1965 Fender Mustang (Original)
Squier Vintage Modified Mustang Bass
iPad2 w/SetListMaker
Old 08-16-2016, 10:16 AM

I have owned lots of short scale guitars, and some are easier to play than others. I currently own a 20.5" scale ##% copy, and it plays great as did my Tele of the same scale.

I find the Cargo easy to play - similar scale to my vintage Fender Duo-Sonic, so I think the KM guitar would work well in my hands, just have to get my hands on one to try in Seattle!
Old 08-16-2016, 09:04 PM

I did a few tonal videos on the KM Guitars...

Saber
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mzz7etaR8M

Comparison with a wooden guitar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtlQ1-kBVus

Touring piece
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV1zJOusyrk
Old 08-18-2016, 06:50 AM

Default Kevin Michael

Jarvis,
Very nice videos. Thanks.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 08-18-2016, 08:27 AM

Spent some time comparing the KM Sable to several Rainsongs yesterday and Jarvis videos are very close to what I hear. As can be heard in the video, the Sable has a more fundamental tone, while the Rainsongs have more sparkle, and more overtones. Both sound great, and I could live with either as my only guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber