The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-04-2002, 08:01 AM

Ref beatlenut...
"Got to remember that it is for HIM, not us. My wife and I both read music and it was very hard at first when we were told, just make something up in harmony! Now it's a blast and easy. If only it were that easy for me to learn lead guitar."

Hey beatlenut, you are so very right. We do have to remember it is for Him. The dilemma is that to do the best job for Him, I feel that you need ample preparation. That being said, I think it is easier for "music reading classical type" musicians to perform on the fly so to speak. They can just read it, and do it with little or no practice.

Re, the singing. I really like harmonizing with a few other musicians/singers, 3-4 at most. No one gets lost in the mix, and the audience can hear the "detail". Just my opinion, but sometimes to many cooks in the kitchen makes for a different kind of performance, more of a "group sing". Of course all this is personal preference. There are many successful and talented Worship Groups who number in the teens.

<><
Ron
Lonesome Picker (NC)
Old 03-04-2002, 11:24 AM
.tom the übergeek

Quote:
Originally posted by kenliu

I think Tom is trying to get his folks to broaden their musical horizons by teaching them how to improvise, not to abandon the use of written music.

Ken
BINGO!!!! Open up our possibilities instead of limiting us to things only printed in SATB. It takes 2 years for that stuff to come out in book form....hardly contemporary.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:24 PM
More guitars than talent

We just use the lyrics and guitar chords and go from there on most our stuff. Our leader/synth/main vocalist can really sparkle at improvizing. It's easy to find these songs on the net so that we have up to date "stuff". I also am of the opinion that 12 singers are too many, but I'm not the leader of our group. We normally have 10 max week to week. It does get pretty crowded up there, but we are kinda loud and it takes that many voices to match our brute strength on instruments!

01 Taylor 814ce, 05 Taylor T5 Maple, 78 Ovation 10th Anniversary, Larrivee L03-12RE

98 American strat, 06 Gibson LP Supreme, 05 Gadow Custom Single, 05 Gadow Custom Hollow, 04 Agile Goldtop, 05 Variax 600, 03 Splatter Strat, 04 Homebuilt Tele, Dillion John Lennon model, Gibson Flying V, Agile Valkyrie SG
Old 03-04-2002, 02:37 PM

This has been a great thread...thanks Tom for getting it started. Everybody has some great points, and I'm taking notes.

We're all coming from different backgrounds with different implementation on our approach to praise and worship music. As the music leader in our church of about 250-300, I've dealt with these same issues. We're still in the process of working through them also, with one of the biggest being the apparent conflict between people who read and people who play by ear. Give me a team full of people who can access both sides of their brainany day.

But here's a few things we've worked on...please forgive me if it gets long.

1. Create a Leader of the team...one person who has the final say. Before this, we were too democratic and it was a MESS. We ended up not agreeing on anything.

2. Create a Vision for the team...a purpose and how to execute it.

3. Simplify. The team had grown too big, with too many instruments. The makeup of the team was not by design, but by consequence. The music was at times too complicated, and the key changes too numerous. Events like scripture reading, prayer, and other creative things were there to cover key changes and other weaknesses in the music set, not because we felt an honest need to include them.

The simplification process has helped immeasurably...we now have 3 or 4 singers, including the leader, a keyboard, an acoustic guitar, and a bass. When and if we add more people, it will be by design and purpose, not because they are there.

At times I've asked my team to refrain from parts and sing unison. My guess is that most people in the congregation are focusing on the melody line anyway. At other times it seems appropriate to go with parts.

My biggest challenge right now is to get people to play like a team, not a group of individuals. They still need to listen to each other. The keyboard and guitar (that's me) quite often have conflicting rythyms. There needs to be a clear understanding of who is establishing the groove on each song.

These are my experiences of late...which includes getting people to broaden their horizons musically beyond what they know. Ear players often can blow off chords or grooves because they don't know them and ruin the subtle feel of a song. People who read can play with such precision that there is no feeling or flow. Both can easily get annoyed at each other.

Getting them all to the point of being on the same page involves the establishment of a vision and purpose, and taking the necessary steps to making it universally accepted on the team. And that's not always easy, I'm finding out.

Larrivee OM40 Rosewood
Larrivee OM40 Mahogany
2011 Taylor 314ce

Yamaha BB Bass, Fender Strats, PRS Zach Myers, Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Old 03-04-2002, 04:26 PM

Very Good Relevent Content TaylorMeister. Thanks for the input. I am going to print it and place it in the music ministers mailbox.

<><
Ron
Lonesome Picker (NC)
Old 03-07-2002, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by taylormeister
1. Create a Leader of the team...one person who has the final say. Before this, we were too democratic and it was a MESS. We ended up not agreeing on anything.
<snip>
My biggest challenge right now is to get people to play like a team, not a group of individuals. They still need to listen to each other. The keyboard and guitar (that's me) quite often have conflicting rythyms. There needs to be a clear understanding of who is establishing the groove on each song.
I can't agree more on the "leader" concept. If anything, it helps rehearsals run along more smoothly because someone can make decisions about things. We have one worship leader at my church who chooses to let his team give a lot of "input" into the decision making, and his team ended up having to meet an extra time during the week just to select songs.

In my church, usually whoever is leading the song sets the groove. That way if the worship leader chooses to go in a different direction, the team can move with him/her. It's hard to "lead" when you're not the person leading the singing.

Ken
Old 03-07-2002, 12:28 PM

I am reading "The Heart of the Artist" by Rory Nolan (I think that's his name. I don't have the book with me. He's with Willow Creek.) It's the best resource I've found on team building for a music ministry, and it's primarily from a contemporary worship viewpoint. I commend it to you, if you're not already familiar with it. I suspect it addresses the topic of this tread, though I haven't gotten to that yet.

cotten
Old 03-07-2002, 12:38 PM
.tom the übergeek

I am headed to Amazon as we speak....thanks.
Old 03-07-2002, 11:54 PM

I would also highly recommend the Worship Team Dynamics video from Vineyard, and the Worship Team Handbook from InterVarsity Press. I've watched the video a dozen times and ordered multiple copies of the book to give out to friends. These are more practical oriented and more band oriented though.

Ken

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification