The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-27-2002, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Default UH OH!!! ::sweat, shudder, and shiver::

Tonight is the night...first time I will ever sing in public! Ive played before but never sang, and never played and sang at the same time (solo, no less...nobody to back me up!) I am performing with a buddy and we are doing an hour show with some dave matthews stuff and some other acoustic stuff...and an original ryan simper number that is very simple (I wrote it after i had been playing a few months) and now it has lyrics (which i wrote last night)

Anyway, I am by no means a singer...but I figure its my song so if anyone is gonna butcher it, it should be me. Im just really nervous and self conscious since I really cant sing well at all...I do know that confidence is crucial, so Im gonna try my best...

We all gotta start somewhere I guess...maybe i should have started somewhere else...like singing lessons lol

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 02-27-2002, 04:07 PM

You'll do fine Ryan...make that 510 sing with you!

Larrivee OM40 Rosewood
Larrivee OM40 Mahogany
2011 Taylor 314ce

Yamaha BB Bass, Fender Strats, PRS Zach Myers, Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Old 02-27-2002, 04:16 PM

Good Luck Ryan! Break a leg!
Old 02-27-2002, 04:29 PM

The whole reason we play is because it is fun. If you play in front of a crowd like you do when you're by yourself the crowd will sense that you are playing for fun and respond. You'll feed off the crowd and the crowd will feed off of you.

If you play nervous the crowd will sense this and become uncomfortable with you. This will just make you even more nervous. It's a performance death spiral. I should know because I used to do it all the time.

Go have fun. You'll probably make a mistake here and there. Who cares! Play for fun and the crowd will love you.

Good luck,

David
Old 02-27-2002, 04:57 PM

GO for it!!! I know you will have fun ....flubs and all...it will be fun.
Old 02-27-2002, 05:26 PM

I envy you, right now. The rush I get just before going on stage, this is the only reason I ever performed in public. And don't worry, nobody likes the sound of his own voice, so you are most probably much better than you think. Break a leg!
Old 02-27-2002, 06:53 PM

Can't sing, huh? Think Bob Dylan. Think Louie Armstrong. Think Willy Nelson. There are countless others who will never be invited to join the Three Tenors, but who have managed to thrill thousands of people with their voices. Come to think of it, if you sounded like Pavoratti, you probably wouldn't be singing this gig tonight!

cotten
Old 02-28-2002, 12:42 AM

Good luck Ryan! Hey, look at Phil Collins of Genisis. He was a drummer and they made him sing, do you think he regrets that now?
2021 224CE K DLX Koa
/COLOR]

Guitars, you only get out of it what you put into it

Member #885
Old 02-28-2002, 12:56 AM
Charter Member

Hey everyone- thanks for all the well-wishing...

Now- whats done is done and I must say that i had a BLAST playing in front of so many friends and strangers (all college aged, but whatever )

My song went over very well- not for my singing, and not because i screwed it up like 4 times ( luckily its a pretty informal setting which lends itself to stopping your song, admonishing yourself or your fingers, apologizing, and starting again)

My song got the biggest ovation of the evening though...they could tell i was trying...and i really like my lyrics- i think they carried the song.

Anyway- overall, it went great. The 410CE I lent to my buddy and my 510E performed admirably, along with the carvin AG100D amp which we ran both guitars AND the mic through- good stuff!

I cant wait to do it again!
Thanks again for all the kindness!

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 02-28-2002, 02:36 AM

Sweet! Did you tape it? Don't forget that I want to hear your song. I've read the lyrics, but I want to see how they fit to your music. If you enjoyed it and every one gave you a standing ovation it must have sounded great. Let us know if you do it again. The stage can be extremely addicting. I haven't gotten the courage to do it musically, but I love to do it acting. One of these days I'll get up on a stage.

Jennifer
Old 02-28-2002, 04:37 PM

Ryan,

That's way cool. And if you weren't nervous then you're not human! Keep doing it, it just gets better and more fun. If you like it you could look for open mike nights locally just to try something new.

Keep playing in front of people, it really sharpens your playing skills and motivates you! Congratulations on your courage!

PS when your CD comes out we are going to want signed promo copies.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification