The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-28-2002, 07:56 AM

Need some help to get to the bottom line in digital recording.
I have a good quality laptop and Audio recording software...what is the current view on "Control Surfaces" like Tascams US 428 or Rolands offering?

Thanks in advance , Carsy
Old 02-28-2002, 08:48 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Carsy,

I can give you general advice on the subject of control sufaces. The pro audio field knows well the need for an intuitive, uncluttered work sufaces. The human mind and body have a marvelous ability to create "hand macros" which allow you to accomplish tasks with little or no thought, IF you have a work surface which allows easy access to controls.

My own experience bears this out. I worked for about a year and a half on the Avid Audio platform (no native control surface, Mac keyboard and mouse) and then moved to the Fairlight MFX3 (dedicated control surface, alpha wheel). During the year and a half on the Avid, even though there were F-key and Apple-key keyboard shortcuts for many commands it was still largely mouse-based. I struggled to develop any facility or speed on the platform at all. The transition to the Fairlight with it's intuitive work surface was very quick. My speed and facility went up within a week or so and climbed from there. The clients immediately noticed a difference with our operators.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-28-2002, 10:09 AM

Cheers Bob,
I really DON'T want to be a Recording Engineer..
...I just want to be able to use the PC for storage and editing.......without the spaghetti of cables.

I have used my Yamaha MD4 and achieved good results but with the obvious limitation of tracks.
My IBM T22 laptop with Sonar demo allowed my to overcome the "track" issue......then I upgraded the mic to an AKG c3000b.....getting much better now.......controlling the mix etc now becomes the problem.

At this point my thinking goes :-

1.Joe Meek MC3Q trak pac (mc3q with jm47 mic)
2.A less cluttered version of Sonar/Cakewalk like Guitar tracks pro
3.Tascam control surface

Taylor Guitar Community ......your thoughts

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification