The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-05-2002, 07:20 AM

Default Need Acoustic Recording Advise

OK....I'm hard at work on some pieces for the Taylorforum CD, and I plugged my 414RCE into the sound card and got results....not very good ones (first time jitters, adjustments, etc.), but could pass for instrumental acoustic guitar....the problem is that I want to record using my K14C (no electronics), and need some advise on microphones (type and brand suggestions) and setup......I really don't want to spend mega $$$$$$, but I am interested in being able to record guitar and vocals, not just for the CD project....I have Guitar studio software (haven't attempted to crack into that yet)...anyone have a setup out there that might meet my needs???....or info on new equipment (like the Marshall MXL2003) which would be a good acquisition????? Recording newbie needs help....calling all TGF record heads

tb
Old 01-05-2002, 08:16 AM

For recording acoustic guitar you definitely should be using a condenser mic(s). The AKG c1000s is a popular choice for around $200. You also need phantom power for condenser mics, and the c1000s provides it's own via 9V battery. There are better mics for more money, and you'll get a lot of different opinions. I only have one right now, but a pair would be better.. e.g. one for close micing and the other for ambient. For close micing (6" to 10" away), aim the mic at the area where the neck joins the body, angled slightly toward the soundhole. I record with a Tascam Portastudio 788, so I can't speak to the software aspects you mentioned.

Rick
Old 01-05-2002, 08:31 AM

Default Rick...

Hey Rick...I just started playing around with the entry level Tascam 4 track, and can't seem to get the mixdown to sound unmuddled. Tell me about your sytem, maybe I ought to upgrade, or just bust in to this digital computer world.
Thanks
LK
Old 01-05-2002, 08:35 AM

Someone gave me a BOSS BR532 4 track recorder for Christmas so I could record while Im in a motel room when I travel. I t has a Mic and input for the guitar. So far with just a little playing around it seems to work very well. I did upgrade it to 128 so it now has some more time on it. I can put it and a good mic and small stand in a bag and carry it anywhere. It has a bucnh more stuff it does, Ryth tracks, drums and so on but I like the digital recording part. You can download on to a CD burner or Tape. I think it was about 400. JW
Old 01-05-2002, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Rick...

Quote:
Originally posted by Lkristians
Hey Rick...I just started playing around with the entry level Tascam 4 track, and can't seem to get the mixdown to sound unmuddled. Tell me about your sytem, maybe I ought to upgrade, or just bust in to this digital computer world.
Here's the page for the 788. If you're thinking about it, I'd spend some time nosing around their forum and search the archives.

I've haven't had mine long and have no prior experience recording. That's definitely where the forum comes in handy. It has eight 24-bit mixing channels for which you can assign up to 256 virtual tracks. Has EQ adjustments for mixing, and some good built-in effects, auto punch-in, a submixer, and strong editing features, and up to 999 levels history for Undo/Redo. Don't like how that last mix went?...just Undo it and try again! And of course, the ability to master and burn you're own CD's. Caveat: though an optional separate purchase, an external Tascam CD drive/burner is pretty much required for backing up data and transporting songs. I can't imagine doing all this without one, but I suppose it's possible. It's a much more expensive drive than other burners, but being a SCSI device, you can use it with your computer provided you have a SCSI interface.

Honestly, I've had a couple problems with my unit pertaining to Undo and a sudden inability to use the external CDRW drive. Right now, I'm waiting (and waiting) for a replacement 788. I am concerned that I've had problems so early into my purchase, but the vast majority of users from the forum seem satisfied. My own jury is still out until I have a fully functional and working system.

If you've got the bucks, I'd forget about tape and go digital, for the editing capabilities alone. In the 788 (and CDRW 788), for what you get, it's definitely a lot of bang for the buck. I have another "Hello" thread here if you want to hear a sample done with the 788.

Rick
Old 01-05-2002, 04:34 PM

Location: Plattsburgh,NY (one hour south of Montreal Canada )
Talking

This is just the thread I've been waiting for! I am dying to buy recording equipment but don't know much about them. I have a mixer and virtualizer that I goof arround with. I have two Taylors with e and two without. I'm currently using a shure mic. I have been looking at the Boss 532 and Tascam 788. Would pay more foe simplicity and direct cd burning. I have cd-rw on my computer. It would be nice to have a portable unit. Can either of these "download" to the computer so I can make cd's without buying another cd burner?
Old 01-05-2002, 08:44 PM

Yes the Boss BR-532 will download to a dedicated CD burner or to your Computers CD burner but you must have a sound card and a fiber optic adapter for the computer. BUT you can record directly to your home stereo on the caasete deck useing the RCA outputs on the 532. The BR-532 is light years ahead of the 4 track Tascam tape. I put the 128 card in the 532 and I can get about 45 minutes of record time. It has an internal mic but its not real impressive. Hook in a good Mic and it really does a decent job. The unit is fairly compact and will fit easily into a suitcase(small). If your just starting into recording I think its a great place to start and if you have been doing it for a while it makes a great travel unit or quick recorder. If I was just getting started Id buy one of these and a dedicated CD burner and go for it. JW
Old 01-06-2002, 07:16 AM

Default JW rights the ships

JW, as always, the one who rights a ship toward logic! I will explore this system. Just have to figure out how to tell the family...which got me this 4 track for Christmas...
LK
Old 01-06-2002, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smm912c
Would pay more foe simplicity and direct cd burning. I have cd-rw on my computer. It would be nice to have a portable unit. Can either of these "download" to the computer so I can make cd's without buying another cd burner?
Well, creating a CD with the 788 is simplicity. It does have a SPDIF out, so it is possible to export without use of a CD, however, you pretty much need the CDRW for creating backups, unless you have an external SCSI drive. I think they're working on a better (easier) export mechanism now. Lots of newbies to the 788 try to get by without making the CDRW 788 purchase, but in the end, you'll end up getting it. Like I said, since it's SCSI, you can still use the external drive with your computer. Also comes with Nero burning software. Lastly, though I didn't mention it before, if your needs are MIDI, the 788 is very strong in that respect. I don't use that yet, but those that do are extremely satisfied with the interface management.

EQ Magazine also did a complimentary write-up on the 788 in their last issue.

Rick
Old 01-06-2002, 11:07 AM

tbondo..I am in the same boat, just learning a new comp recording program. Yesterday I picked up a great little package from ART called "Hot Pak". It included an ART TubeMP preamp, Apex 430 Large Diaphram Mic, suspension shockmount, stand mount, pop filter and carring bag for $219. If you price these things individualy I think you would find this is an amazing price and from the reviews I have read on these pieces, it is pretty good stuff.
Old 01-06-2002, 02:12 PM
.tom the übergeek

Not to squash your joy over your purchase, the price is good, but the TubeMP is pretty noisy. I have one at work for voiceover stuff and it is WAY louder than my little PEAVEY RQ200 mixer that has 6 mic pre + 2 mono line + 4 stereo line preamps.

I always have to go back to the statement, if it seems too good to be true....it is. You just got a tube mic preamp and a large diaphram mic for the price of an SM57 and a cheap mixer. That should tell you something right there.

Sorry to be harsh. I hope it works for you. I still cannot get adequate results from the one I have plus an AKG C-3000 (and the mic sounds great with other gear).
Old 01-06-2002, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by trpullen
Not to squash your joy over your purchase, the price is good, but the TubeMP is pretty noisy. I have one at work for voiceover stuff and it is WAY louder than my little PEAVEY RQ200 mixer that has 6 mic pre + 2 mono line + 4 stereo line preamps.

Hey Trpullen, can you recommend any other reasonably priced mic preamp units? I'm thinking in the $200-$300 price range max. JoeMeek?

I'd like to get a stereo unit when I finally get around to getting some good condensers.

Ken
Old 01-06-2002, 03:10 PM

Default JW: Boss question

JW, I just went to the Boss site to see the BR 532..but couldn't find a price....any idea what the price range is?
Thanks
LK
Old 01-06-2002, 03:58 PM

Location: Plattsburgh,NY (one hour south of Montreal Canada )
Talking

Musician's friend is advertising the BR-532 at $395.99 (list 495) I think I'll get one! Thanks for the input. As always there are many opinions, but I just wanted to be sure it would be appropriate for my needs. Helps to know someone else has one and KNOWS HOW TO WORK IT! I will probably be back for hints!!

Shelley
Old 01-06-2002, 04:49 PM

I wouldn't advise buying much audio recording equipment from Musicians friend. Try www.sweetwater.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification