The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-02-2010, 07:07 PM

Default Your thoughts on this guitar

I'd like some thoughts on this guitar. (constructive please)

http://elderly.com/vintage/items/28U-2340.htm
Old 07-02-2010, 07:42 PM

I believe that I played one of those. Can't quite recall if the woods on the backs and sides were the same. I think the one I played had rosewood. This one has mahogany.

It was a nice guitar but I felt that I could do much better for the money. I was offered $xxxx. The same applies for the one on Elderly.

Of course, you're looking at a Martin so it has some collectors' value if that's what you're looking for in an instrument. I imagine it will hold a bit of its value for Martin enthusiasts. I don't think it will appeal to real classical guitarists though.

Last edited by cotten; 07-06-2010 at 09:56 PM. Reason: AGF Rule 2 in FAQ: no guitar price discussion
Old 07-02-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarVlog View Post
I believe that I played one of those. Can't quite recall if the woods on the backs and sides were the same. I think the one I played had rosewood. This one has mahogany.

It was a nice guitar but I felt that I could do much better for the money. I was offered $xxxx. The same applies for the one on Elderly.

Of course, you're looking at a Martin so it has some collectors' value if that's what you're looking for in an instrument. I imagine it will hold a bit of its value for Martin enthusiasts. I don't think it will appeal to real classical guitarists though.
The main thing I was concerned with was if I would be wasting my money on the thing. I would like to have an old martin....however I hate to buy something that needs work!

Thanks, Tony

Last edited by cotten; 07-06-2010 at 09:57 PM. Reason: AGF Rule 2 in FAQ: no guitar price discussion
Old 07-03-2010, 07:25 AM

My personal opinion is that when I think steel string, I FIRST think Martin, but when I think Classical it just doesn't come to mind. Honestly, I gotta say I have never seen one let alone play one. With that said, it sure wouldn't mean that Martin can't make a decent classical. I think this one appears to be in nice shape.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:39 AM

Found this one yesterday. It might be the same, but I'm not sure. A little cheaper though.

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/msg/1781076795.html

2010 NS72CE
1969 Gibson J-50-D
1967 Martin d-12-35
Peavey Millenium 4 Bass

http://www.youtube.com/user/partyofonemusic
Old 07-03-2010, 11:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

The Martin classicals that I've played have the same woody texture that the steel strings have, however less defined. They are not bad classical guitars but compared with others priced in the same ball park, are they a good value?
This is only your call in the end.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:25 PM

Thanks everyone. I wood really like to have a martin nylon.....as I've already said I just don't know if I want to work on the thing first jack out of the box...so to speak.

Another thing about this one is it seems to be stained a different color than most I've seen.

Thanks again, Tony
Old 07-04-2010, 04:52 AM

I owned a Martin 00-28C for 26 years. It is the same body size as the 00-16C only a rosewood guitar. It was a good guitar, but not a great guitar. I never felt the guitar sound projected very well.

My teacher has an Alvarez Yairi, I was floored by how much better it sounded. My 2 cents, don't buy it or the other one from Craigslist, you can do better for the dollar. As Hack said, Martins are known for their steel not nylon guitars.

Now for being a Martin, it does have collector's value. My Martin was a 1968,

Tom C.

Last edited by cotten; 07-06-2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: AGF Rule 2 in FAQ: no guitar price discussion
Old 07-05-2010, 06:51 PM

Default Up Date

Well I never would've dreamed I did what I did today. I bought a steel string martin...000x1. I went shopping and found a nice 33 yr old yari classical that was great. The problem is my fingers are so short....index barely 2" long I just can't finger properly the wide necks. I picked up this martin and the action was fantastic to me. It doesn't have the bass I'm used too or the growl even my old yamaha classic has but I think it will work better for me in the long run.

I guess I'll just have to pick out my Willie songs on a steel string...I hope he doesn't mind. lol

Thanks for all the help, Tony
Old 07-06-2010, 05:09 PM

Tony: I agree with earlier post about the Yairi sound being a player. If you can find those Yairi and can stand the 2" they are nice guitars.

Did I miss your comment about the TAYLOR Nylon String models? The size of their neck would seem to be a good point for your comment about not liking the wide 2" neck?

Sounds like your Martin will keep down the GAS at least for now. Enjoy your new acquisition and play in good health.
Alvarez Yairi CY-127-CE
Alvarez Yairi CY-140-CE
Old 07-06-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ in FL View Post
Tony: I agree with earlier post about the Yairi sound being a player. If you can find those Yairi and can stand the 2" they are nice guitars.

Did I miss your comment about the TAYLOR Nylon String models? The size of their neck would seem to be a good point for your comment about not liking the wide 2" neck?
I thought about one of the crossovers.....but really I'm not that great of a player so I decided I didn't want to spend much over 500.00 so that pretty much ruled out the Taylor nylons.

I've never been much on the Alvarez model classics, so I never give much thought to the yari, but this one was a great guitar. The action was a lot nicer than my yamaha, but still barre chords are not going to happen with a 2" neck.....with my fingers.

Good luck, Tony

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical