The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-10-2010, 08:20 PM

Default Input/Alternative to Cordoba Fusion

Im really looking into gettin my first "real" guitar and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the Cordoba Fusion. I really like the hybrid neck and cutaway on the fusion not to mention the price fits.
My big question is what would you recommend as far as something in the 650 price range, hybrid, cutaway, and preferably that comes in a dark wood. Kinda picky but this is the one time in life get to choose what my baby looks like.
Thanks in Advance
Old 06-10-2010, 08:26 PM

If you'll be amping it a lot, then consider the Yamaha NTX900.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:13 PM

If I'm not mistaken the Yamaha NTX models have a shallow body. This is great if you plug in most of the time as it makes the guitar more comfortable, but shallow bodies tend to produce a purely acoustic tone that's a little weak.

If you want a full-bodied acoustic tone in addition to a good amplified tone, then you'll probably want a standard body depth as well as good electronics. I have a Fusion, which has both, and I feel comfortable recommending it with the caveat to inspect and play before buying, as Cordoba's Chinese models are a little inconsistent right now.

If you can bump up your price point, you might consider Taylor's NS24ce, which has a solid spruce top and laminated sapele sides and back. The NS models have never been at the top of my nylon string list, but they have a dedicated following, and you can be sure that they're built consistently and well.

Last edited by cpmusic; 06-10-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:36 PM

Id mainly be playing unplugged if not always. Id rather pay less for a good sounding guitar than one with electronics, though i do really dig the built in tuners. Its seems like its impossible to get a decent American made nylon for around 600.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:05 AM

I looked very hard at the Cordoba Fusion RS 14 before I eventually decided to though a lot more money into the decision.

I looked at the Cordobas, the LaPetries, the Breedloves and others. Of everything in that price range I liked the Cordobas the best. I went into it wanting to like the LaPetries and the Breedloves so I did not start with a bias to the Cordoba. I felt like the LaPetries and Breedloves were over built to deliver the kind of sound I wanted. They all had pickup systems in them and if you were willing to play them through an amp seemed to overcome this issue.

The other thing to consider is to look at a flamenco guitar. The bracing is different and tends towards a brighter and more lively sound than a strict classical guitar. In many ways I liked the sound of the flamenco guitars I played.

That being said, I there are things to be considered. The fit and finish of a guitar in this price range is more inconsistent than more expensive guitars. Not that there are not good ones to be found, just that not every example will be a good one. With the Cordobas what I was was the the finish seemed to very in thickness from guitar to guitar. The thickness of the finish seemed to impact the quality of the unplugged sound. Make sure you like the sound of the guitar, unplugged, before you make any buying decisions.

My experience and my opinions (which may have no value to you):

Under $1000, the Cordoba Fusion RS (not the Jet)
Under $2000, the Cervantes Crossover, Kenny Hill crossovers, Pavan Guitars
Over $2000, start watching for a used high end nylon string (preferably hand built)

Good Luck

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 06-13-2010, 09:25 AM

Cordoba GK Studio.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical