The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-22-2010, 11:05 AM

Default Are the expensive string brands worth it?

I've just strung up my NS72 with some GHS La CLassique High Tensions, mainly because they have the wound 3rd. These strings sound really good and they are about two and half times cheaper than some makes like Savarez Alliance or Hannabachs.

Do other people feel that the really pricey nylon strings are worth the extra cost?
Old 05-22-2010, 11:14 AM

Cool

I've never tried the GHS brand but have done the Savarez before. I usually always come back to D'Addario Normal tensions as they are just as good to me and save a few dollars also.

VTG
Old 05-22-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I've just strung up my NS72 with some GHS La CLassique High Tensions, mainly because they have the wound 3rd. These strings sound really good and they are about two and half times cheaper than some makes like Savarez Alliance or Hannabachs.

Do other people feel that the really pricey nylon strings are worth the extra cost?
I love Hannabachs and think they are clearly better sounding strings...that said, I have had horrible luck with Hannabach trebles not playing in tune. It seemed to me that I would have to buy 2 sets of Hannabach trebles to make up one set that would play in tune.

So, with that in mind, I use D'Addario on my nylon string guitars. Hard tension basses and Extra Hard tension Titanium trebles on my 2 regular size classicals. On my 2 small nylons (with short scales of 620mm and 597mm), I use Extra Hard basses and Extra Hard Titanium trebles. I really like these strings (especially the Titanium trebles) and good old D'Addario is spot on every time in terms of intonation/playing in tune.

Jimmy

PS. I should add that my 2 small guitars need extra hard strings because of the very short scale lengths. Also, I much prefer normal tension strings tonally on my regular classicals but use hard/x-hard strings because I play a lot of steel string guitar and I find that I overplay normal tension strings when swapping back and forth on gigs between nylon and steel.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor

Last edited by jimmy bookout; 05-22-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:21 PM

Hannabachs are very good but I don't consider them to be best-buys. I will however sometimes buy special sets from them. They make more varieties of strings for more instruments than any other manufacturer that I've seen. If I need nylon strings, I'll usually buy D'Addario first before I buy Hannabach.

I happily pay the premium for Savarez Alliance carbons. They are brighter and louder than other strings I've tried. I also like their mixed tension set. I strayed away for a while and realized that I really missed what those strings did for my guitars.

If Savarez were not available. the only other carbon strings I'd take right now would be Oasis.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:24 PM

I go by what sounds best on my guitar, and what feels good for me to play. If a $7.50 set does it, then that's what I use. Turns out, though, that after going through many different brands and tensions, Savarez Alliance are the ones that work best for me on my classical. They cost about twice what some others cost, but I want to get the most satisfaction out of playing that I can. So they are worth it to me. Really, it's only about $1.20 more per string. They typically last me 3 months, so I end up using 4 sets a year, which may total about $30 more per year than if I used a brand that didn't sound as good for me, but cost less. I can spring for $30 more a year for that satisfaction.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:08 PM

I have tried several classical strings and I always come back to Savarez. Yes, they cost more and from time to time I will use something cheaper for a few cycles, but I love the sound of Savarez even more when I come back to them. After all. it really is a small expense to make your guitar sound the best.Don't you think?
Old 05-31-2010, 08:58 AM

while I'm sure it varies from guitar to guitar, I use Daddario ej-45's...cheap! and they sound fine. between rehersals and gigs, I get about 2 weeks to a set. They are definetly brighter when the are first tuned up and they stop stretching overnight...all I need.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:55 PM

I've used a number of different brands over the years, but I believe my guitar sounds and plays best with Savarez Alliance carbons, so I'm sticking with them nowadays.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
H3LLZ TO THE YEAH!!!!

I've had LA BELLA Nylon Super Folks on my Taylor NS32CE for the past 4 days and I gotta say
"THEY'RE GREAAAAAT!!!"

Actually, the first string bust at the bridge when I first tightened them up. So I reattached the "ball"
end. Then the string slipped through that same ball end. My knots were not adequate enough.
So I just strung it up old school at the bridge and no more problemas!

I think I'm gonna try the Golden Superior 900W set with the black nylon trebles and wound 3rd
string next. That should be interesting!

I really like having a wound 3rd string because the move back and forth from my electrics seems
more seamless to me.

Last edited by Granderojo; 06-03-2010 at 06:22 AM. Reason: La Bella not D'Addario...DUH! LOL
Old 06-02-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granderojo View Post
H3LLZ TO THE YEAH!!!!

I've had D'Addario Nylon Super Folks on my Taylor NS32CE for the past 4 days and I gotta say
"THEY'RE GREAAAAAT!!!"
If you like the Daddario Folk ball ends, try the Labella Folk Singers as well. They are quite nice too and come in a couple different tensions...
Old 06-03-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd6969 View Post
If you like the Daddario Folk ball ends, try the Labella Folk Singers as well. They are quite nice too and come in a couple different tensions...

Apologies! I meant La Bella not D'Addario. It was late...I was enjoying some vino.

I did try the D'Addario Folks but didn't like the thick 3rd string. And the trebles overall were not as
bright as the La Bella Super Folks.

Thanks bfloyd!
Old 06-04-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Apologies! I meant La Bella not D'Addario. It was late...I was enjoying some vino.

I did try the D'Addario Folks but didn't like the thick 3rd string. And the trebles overall were not as
bright as the La Bella Super Folks.

Thanks bfloyd!
Ah, I understand... that vino can play tricks on you

Labella really has a good thing with nylon strings. They are my favorite. I really like their nylon wound on nylon process. Seems to add a bit more brightness and sustain to the trebles. If you like the Super Folks, I'm sure you will like the 900 Golden's. Pretty much the same string process, just without the ball ends. That wound third is nice to have as well. I also like their 850's too in high tension.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Oasis Carbon Trebles, Normal Tension, and Savarez Corum Alliance Basses, normal tension. Great combination. The carbon trebles stay in tune once settled, and the Savarez bass strings seem to hold up better and have a bolder sound than most other basses. Nothing wrong with the D'Addario EJ45's though, and they have a good price point. The D'Adario carbons didn't seem to hold up for me. If you want cheap, I recommend WebStrings. Great price point and very good strings, made in USA by a major string mfgr. I played them for 10 years, and only changed when I started building, and was searching for strings at a different level.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
I did try the D'Addario Folks but didn't like the thick 3rd string. And the trebles overall were not as bright as the La Bella Super Folks.
How was their balance? I'd give (almost) anything to find a set in which the G wasn't seemingly 100db lower in volume than the other strings.

Nick
Old 06-04-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntotoro View Post
How was their balance? I'd give (almost) anything to find a set in which the G wasn't seemingly 100db lower in volume than the other strings.

Nick
Does a wound 3rd string work for you?...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical