The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-18-2010, 04:17 AM
Musical minimalist

Default Grit Laskin....

check out the used Laskin classical at Folkway.....scroll down to the third guitar....

http://www.folkwaymusic.com/instrume...racoustic.html

I think the man was a bit ahead of his time......top bevel and ergonomic back in '97!!

I'd like to give that one a run or two....

Last edited by fitness1; 05-18-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:00 AM

That is a fine looking instrument, at a very low price. Grit's work is up there with the best.

As one of Jean Larrivee's very early apprentices Grit learned to be creative at an early age and hasn't stopped innovating. I am always a little annoyed when I see posts about the "Ryan Bevel", knowing that Grit developed and utilized that concept many years earlier.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:07 AM

Wow! That's great. I've never played one of his classicals and that looks to be a very good price. All that work on the bevels. He and Linda Manzer were the firsts in that area, in modern times, anyway.

I have his inlay book. Tremendous work!

Rare find. Very cool.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
I am always a little annoyed when I see posts about the "Ryan Bevel", knowing that Grit developed and utilized that concept many years earlier.
The bevel has been around for quite some time. the "Ryan Bevel" is in regard to his design of the bevel rather than the conception of the bevel. Ryan has never claimed to have created the bevel, instead, he took the bevel and refined it to a different design.

As regards to Grit, I respect him as an inlay artist, but as a guitar builder, I have never been impressed with his guitars. I've never played his nylon strings, but it sure is beautiful!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 05-19-2010, 04:35 PM

Wow! that back bevel really makes me want that guitar. Now where is that 4 grand I have lying around?
Old 06-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Folkway is having their annual Garage Sale and this guitar is included - check it out!! Great price, especially with the Calton included!

If this was a flamenco, I'd be searching for funds fast and furious!
Old 06-05-2010, 04:19 AM

I saw the Garage Sale notice yesterday and immediately surfed in to take a look. The price is very attractive.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:16 PM

I met grit this week at Marc Adams. I happened to be building a Martin 000 style acoustic with John Ressler and Grit was teaching a Inlay and Engraving class next to ours.

He brought several of his guitars and a tenor mandolin... gave us a slideshow of his spectacular work and sang us a few tunes the next day. Great fella, that Grit. It was quite a pleasure to meet him and play his guitars. I'm really not worthy.

Btw, I got the girl strung up tonight and will be adjusting the saddle and finishing some extremely modest headstock inlays tomorrow.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical