The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Recent purchase: Tascam DP01FX/CD

I just purchased a Tascam DP01FX/CD today. This is a digital multi-track recorder with a hard disk & CD burner that records 2 tracks at a time for a total of 8 tracks. When these first came out they were selling for $700. My local music store was blowing them out for $299 as Tascam has released a new version of this unit. I've held off on buying one of these for a while but at this price I just couldn't resist. I haven't had time to record anything yet. I'm just going through the manual now and will most likely test drive it this weekend.

I like the layout as most functions are controlled by knobs and there are few jog wheels and menus to scroll through. It has 2 XLR inputs with 48V phantom power and 2 1/4" line inputs. There is also a USB port that allows you to move song files onto a PC. Can't wait to burn my first CD.

drive-south
Old 03-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

I made my first recordings on the DP01FX/CD today, using 2 AKG C3000 condensors connected directly into the units' mic inputs. It does appear to be simple to use and has superb sound quality.

drive-south
Old 03-04-2008, 11:59 PM

Location: 3 miles from the Rose Bowl, 3 miles from Dodger Stadium

Dude.....May I inquire as to where you scored yours?

Play often, pick long, and prosper.....Kabookie
Gibson Custom Shop Non-Reverse Firebird ~ Gretsch G6120 TM Chet Atkins + G6128 TSP Duo Jet ~ G&L ASAT Special Semi-Hollow ~ Yamaha SSC-500 ~ Rickenbacker 360/6 + 370/6 + 330/12 ~ Yamaha P-200 Digital Piano
-------------------
"Play on, pick often, & prosper."
Old 03-05-2008, 06:05 AM
Only visiting this planet

You got a great deal, that is the price of the DP-01 no effects & no cd burner! I paid $500. for mine.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

I bought mine locally in Worcester MA. The store had 3 units left and has since sold all 3. If you check Tascam's site, you'll see the new version of this unit which has been completely redesigned.

If you look around there are bound to be stores blowing these out.

I have a 20 year old Tascam Porta One cassette recorder. At first I saw the DP01 as a digital version of my old tape recorder. In many ways they are very similar, but the new unit records 8 tracks, the Porta-One 4 tracks. The DP01 stores hundreds of songs on a hard disk, has a built in burner, a USB port, built in efx, XLR inputs w/phantom power, and it cost $200 less than I paid for my Porta-One 20 years ago. Beat that!

I recorded a few more songs today. In one case I recorded guitar, mando, and vocals to 3 separate tracks. In another case, I recorder acoustic, vocals, and a Strat. I think it's time to add a drum machine so I can at least create a click track.

Fun stuff!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification