The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-15-2016, 05:12 AM

Hi Earl,

The guys here on AGF have, as always, been fantastic in offering you their independent opinions. We are indeed now using the Gotoh 510 tuners 18:1 ratio (cosmo black) on the Chimaera Artisan and Gotoh 381 tuners 16:1 ratio (cosmo black) on Chimaera Opus. We were no longer satisfied with the stealths and decided to switch to these tuners and while they are a little heavier, we are much happier with them on the Chimaera. If you have any questions that we can assist you with directly give us a shout any time via email on [email protected]

Best Wishes,

Sean @ Emerald Guitars
Old 08-15-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Er...No. Only true for the single neck guitars.

We are talking about the double-neck Chimaera. Both the Artisan and Opus come with a hard case. (neither of which is made by Hiscox)
You're right of course … forgot that the Chimaera would naturally be a different story.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:43 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
You're right of course … forgot that the Chimaera would naturally be a different story.
I have the hardshell case for my Chimaera and although I never checked the make, it is a quality, sturdy case.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:02 AM

Overnight I heard back from Richard Pavelec via email, and he confirmed that the textured black ice finish is somewhat noisy when handled (as I feared). His guitar also apparently had some issues with the B-Band pickup that remain unresolved (with B-Band, no problem with Emerald).

Sean, thanks for responding. I figured that might happen once the weekend was over. The timing is why I went here first instead of approaching you directly. Most of my questions have now been answered, and when ordering time comes it will be an Artisan model, likely without a pickup at all, or perhaps prepped for a K&K that I would install myself. I will email you directly with any further detailed queries.

Thanks everyone. Now to let the GAS sit and bubble for a while....
Old 08-16-2016, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Overnight I heard back from Richard Pavelec via email, and he confirmed that the textured black ice finish is somewhat noisy when handled (as I feared). His guitar also apparently had some issues with the B-Band pickup that remain unresolved (with B-Band, no problem with Emerald).

Sean, thanks for responding. I figured that might happen once the weekend was over. The timing is why I went here first instead of approaching you directly. Most of my questions have now been answered, and when ordering time comes it will be an Artisan model, likely without a pickup at all, or perhaps prepped for a K&K that I would install myself. I will email you directly with any further detailed queries.

No problem at all Earl,

The guys here on AGF are great people to offer you advice! We will look forward to hearing from you!

Speak to you soon

Sean
Old 08-16-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:

I presently have an X7 Artisan on order with the crystal ice finish back and sides and a K&K mini pure.

I recently became aware the K&K mini system maybe more sensitive to body rubbing noises compared to under saddle transducer guitar systems, and because I'm getting the crystal ice finish on the back and sides of my X7, I became concerned.

I contacted Emerald guitar and asked if they thought the K&K mini system
is more likely to sense rubbing noises from the crystal ice finish compared to the gloss finish ?

A very prompt responds came back with the following :

I just spoke to Alistair for you and he said the difference in the finish is not something that would have an effect on any rubbing noises, so whether you it's the crystal ice or full gloss finish, there wouldn't be much difference.

I hope this helps in your decision.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:49 AM

Deleted because it double posted
Old 08-16-2016, 09:23 AM

Thank you, 121. I appreciate your asking Alistair the question.

To reiterate, my concern about "rubbing noises" is not through the transducer / pickup, but acoustically against my body when recording with a microphone. That has been a problem with non-glossy finishes when studio recording in the past, but it is solvable by draping a chamois between the guitar and my body. Most pickups sense comparatively little body noise when plugged in direct. SBT's get some, and UST's get almost none.

The K&K Pure Mini is my preferred choice, and your comments are helpful. I am leaning toward the K&K as a substitute pickup installed during the build, since it is far more familiar (to me) than the B-Band, and based on Richard's comments via email. His pickup was DOA but he did not test it immediately, and because of the delay B-Band has been less than responsive in resolving the issue. So I'd rather avoid a) an unknown pickup and b) a marginal support situation.

GAS is strong for the Chimaera, but I still have one more wood guitar that needs to sell first. Or two guitars, if you count the Taylor 12-string that a Chimaera would replace. The glossy Artisan would let me choose the green tint to the exposed CF weave, which is my favorite.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:00 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Thank you, 121. I appreciate your asking Alistair the question.

To reiterate, my concern about "rubbing noises" is not through the transducer / pickup, but acoustically against my body when recording with a microphone. That has been a problem with non-glossy finishes when studio recording in the past, but it is solvable by draping a chamois between the guitar and my body. Most pickups sense comparatively little body noise when plugged in direct. SBT's get some, and UST's get almost none.

The K&K Pure Mini is my preferred choice, and your comments are helpful. I am leaning toward the K&K as a substitute pickup installed during the build, since it is far more familiar (to me) than the B-Band, and based on Richard's comments via email. His pickup was DOA but he did not test it immediately, and because of the delay B-Band has been less than responsive in resolving the issue. So I'd rather avoid a) an unknown pickup and b) a marginal support situation.

GAS is strong for the Chimaera, but I still have one more wood guitar that needs to sell first. Or two guitars, if you count the Taylor 12-string that a Chimaera would replace. The glossy Artisan would let me choose the green tint to the exposed CF weave, which is my favorite.
Earl, I understand your situation. I'm a one in, one out kinda guy. Although I quite liked my '08 CA GXi, GAS for the Chimaera was strong for me too, so I sold the GXi to partially fund the purchase of my Chimaera. I don't regret it. I'm quite happy with my main wood guitar being my '02 Taylor 814c (no holes with Baggs Anthem installed), my Cargo as my travel guitar and resident on one of my sofas, my '02 '57 Strat Reissue to vent my occasional electric needs (replaced my vintage '58 Strat), AND my Chimaera that fulfills everything else...having a cool 6 on it, a cool 12, and all the fun that jumping between the two offers. I'm not saying I'll never buy another guitar, but my fundamental needs are quite satisfied.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:17 PM

Acousticado, I'm not playing an arbitrary "one in, one out" game. I have been actively downsizing of late because some of them rarely get played. Four nice wood guitars have sold this year. They were all bought for a specific reason / mission, but I no longer use certain ones very much. Over time, I am more interested in a near-total CF guitar conversion for their low maintenance.

There will always be a couple of woody guitars around, just because I love koa. But I can certainly foresee the day when it is only one koa gutiar, then the Cargo (wife's), the WS-1000, a Lucky 13 -- and a Chimaera to cover twelve string needs.

I love my Rainsong WS-1000 and it is the one guitar that would be rescued from the burning house - if forced to choose today. Had I bought a twelve string WS-3000 a few years ago back when they were still available, I would be well insulated from GAS now. The Taylor 615 jumbo and the 354-LTD twelve string (both near mint) should sell first, then I would order a Chimaera the next day.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:48 PM

I have an X7 Opus with the crystal ice finish and don't get any body noise when recording with a mic.

My RTF finished Rainsong is a completely different matter. It's noisy. (and why I am pleased that Rainsong has introduced a new non-noisy satin finish)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber