The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-28-2002, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Tuning Machines for other brands

Does anyone know what kind of tuning machines Martin, Gibson, and Larrivee use? Are they standardized like Taylor and having Grovers on each model, or do they vary between them. I looked all over the Martin website and could not find any reference to this, which I find odd since Taylor makes a strong point about their use of Grovers on each model.

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 03-01-2002, 07:24 AM

I'm not 100% sure but I think Larrivee uses Gotohs on their lower and midrange, likely something a bit better on the high end. Gibson i'm not sure. Martin I think it varies depending on model but i'm not sure what their standard is. Even Taylor I believe puts Schallers or Waverlys on the PS series and maybe the 900's.

Derek

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 03-01-2002, 08:14 AM

Presentations and many limited series (like the Galleries and many Signatures) have Schallers ... I'm pretty sure the 9xxs come with Grovers still.

As for the original question, I haven't looked at Larrivees and Gibsons for awhile ... but Martin uses several types. I don't have my Martin spec sheet (I think it's on those) available, but it does vary from model to model.
Old 03-03-2002, 12:06 PM

Don't know about Martins or Gibbies but on the current production Larrivees they are using Gotohs for the models that have glossy finishes and Pings on the lower cost models with satin finishes.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:36 PM

Gibson is using a lot of grovers, Larravee is using ping on the lower #s(yuk). Gotoh on the O5s up. Martin is using some Gotohs and grovers and schuller. Im surprized with larivee they put a set of 12 dollar tuners on a 1000 dollar guitar. Taylor babys hve better tuners. Washburn will put a set of grovers on a 200 dollar guitar. JW
Old 03-04-2002, 10:30 PM
guitar, amp fixer upper.

I've posted this elsewhere, but straight from the mouth of Luthier Kevin Ryan "Today I believe Gotoh's are the best, followed by Schaller then Grover". He told me he is using only Gotoh's because he believes that right now they are making the highest quality tuner on the market. I do know he makes fantastic guitars.

Ron
Old 03-05-2002, 07:49 AM

The Gotoh tuners that Kevin Ryan puts on his guitars are light years ahead of what Larrivee uses, they make a few different models and I think the ones Kevin uses are called 'Super 501's' or something like it I can't remember the exact name.

They are very good tuners and at the highend, may be better than anything offered by Schaller or Grover but at the Taylor/Larrivee level, the Grovers are much better.

I'm curious as to why Waverly didn't make Kevin's list, as far as i've experienced they're about the finest tuners on the market today.

Derek

14fret 0
12fret 000

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification