The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-26-2002, 09:38 PM

Default I-Beam in a Jumbo?

I've heard a lot about feedback probs with the Baggs I-beam. That being considered, I would think it would be a bad choice for a Jumbo. It's Mahogony/Spruce Jumbo. What do you guys think? Any experience with I-beam in a either a Jumbo or Dreadnaught?
Old 02-27-2002, 04:21 PM

I have an iBeam Active in my jumbo Taylor 12 string (custom 955: sitka / rosewood), and I'm very pleased with it. It has excellent string to string volume balance, and the tone is better than any undersaddle transducer or magnetic pickup that I've heard. I think the B-Band AST in my Santa Cruz OM sounds slightly better yet, but the iBeam is so good that I don't want to risk trying something else. Feedback is not a problem at all for me, but I play solo in very small venues and at relatively low volume levels. I'm not sure how it would behave in a high volume band situation with bass and drums.

One interesting thing about the iBeam Active is that it becomes less prone to feedback after it has been in a guitar for a while. Baggs claims this happens as the adhesive dries out and hardens. I'm not sure about why this happens, but my experience, and that of several other iBeam users, seems to confirm it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification