The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-25-2010, 11:53 PM

Thumbs up Savarez Corum Alliance (Carbon) Strings

I slapped on a new set of normal-tension Savarez Corum Alliance strings about a month ago. I've been wondering for, oh, the past forty years or so, if somebody would one day come up with a viable alternative to nylon strings. Leave it to Savarez to finally get the job done.

If you're reading this board, you most likely know full well how nylon strings behave, their strengths and weaknesses. Beautifully mellow and perfect for yanking with bare fingers probably sums it up.

But I've often yearned for a nylon string set that exhibited a bit of the sound and behavior of acoustic bronze-wounds. Something a bit brighter, with more robust resonance and punch, but not sacrificing the finger-friendliness intrinsic to nylon strings. I still wanted to be able to yank and dig into the strings as you can on nylons.

These new Savarez trebles are made of a composite monofilament, commonly called "carbon", apparently. Here's how Savarez describes them (in their somewhat stilted English translation):
The KF ALLIANCE fibre has the same density and elongation properties as gut. Its density is higher than the polyamide fibres. The KF ALLIANCE strings are thinner than the nylon ones. They can resist a 35kg tension (harp). The low internal frictions between the molecules increase the durability of the string beside a sustained sound. The G-3rd string provides a great homogeneous transition between the B-2nd and the D-4th. It ideally balances with the other strings of the set in terms of sound quality. It is no longer necessary to use a G wound string to balance the set.
Now, the basses are also a bit different:
Our technological discoveries enable us to manufacture strings of greater pliability unlike anything else in the world, offering a very quick and accurate response. Their flexibility allows the musician to build his own sound, to create many other colours of sounds and nuances. Their design has been based on a reduction of the internal frictions. The string hardly vibrates, the sound lasts longer at a higher level. The CORUM basses offers a perfect balance coupled with the KF ALLIANCE trebles, exclusive to Savarez.
This "reduction of internal frictions" sounds interesting. I'm not sure what the hell that means, but I sure could use a lowering of my own internal frictions from time to time, so I'm good with it.

My impressions after a month:
  1. The strings, once they settle in, hold tune remarkably well.
  2. The sound is unmistakably brighter, and more resonant. I find the tone quite suitable for classical, jazz and flamenco stylings. Very nice sustain in both registers, and not at all harsh to my ear.
  3. Durability seems decidely better than nylons. After a month of gigging several times a week, both basses and trebles still ring well, and judging from the fret wear on them (which seems less than one would get from nylons), I suspect they will last another month without problem.
  4. While the trebles are a bit thinner in diameter than nylons, I'm not noticing any issues with regards playability or comfort. I can play hard without discomfort.

As I mentioned, this first set was normal (medium) tension. I've stocked up on a set of high tension to try next. Want to see if the bite I get out of these puppies is enhanced with the higher tension.

I bought the strings from JustStrings.com, a good online source for strings of all types.

Anyone else have some experience with these strings? I'd be interested in hearing other opinions.

2010 Godin Grand Concert Ambiance
2003 Godin Grand Concert SA MIDI-Classic
1995 Custom Turner Renaissance MIDI-Classic
2004 Yamaha CGX-171SCF Electric-Flamenco
1972 Alvarez-Yairi 5032 Classic
1989 Custom Vlado Proskurniak Hybrid Flamenco-Classic
2002 Ibanez PM-100 (Pat Metheny model)
2004 Custom Filomino Strat-clone
Old 06-26-2010, 12:15 AM

Cool! I've been using these, or slightly different sets of Savarez for many years. They work the best on my classical. Enjoy!
Old 06-26-2010, 02:28 AM

I have been using D'Addario EXP46 Hard tension coated silver plated strings and they are terrific strings, however, your shameless promoting of these Alliance carbon strings has got me quite interested.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:54 AM

I've been using carbon trebles exclusively since 2007... The very first time I played them I was hooked... the difference was dramatic! I've been using either Savarez or Hannabach, and didn't really have a preference until I tried the Hannabach Goldin Super Carbon trebles. I like them very, VERY much... Sweet, articluate, and loud.

On my crossover nylon-electric, however, the difference in sound between Nylon and Carbon isn't quite so dramatic. But having said that, I MUCH prefer the smaller gauge of the carbons because of the 1-7/8" nut on this particular guitar. The carbons give back the room between the strings that is lost with the narrower neck.

I love carbon trebles!
Old 06-27-2010, 09:51 AM

I've had some intonation problems with a few sets having the Alliance E and B carbon strings. My preference is to go with a G carbon (if it intonates well) and then use their Cristal strings for E and B. Or just a full set of Cristals.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:45 AM

Default Savarez Corum Alliance

I just started using these Savarez strings and like them but haven't decided where they fit in comparison to other classical strings. But I can say that the Savarez site is needlessly confusing: full of information but it is very difficult to separate out the individual differences to their strings.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:54 AM

Savarez 540ARJ is my standard set for all my guitars.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual Mystic View Post
I have been using D'Addario EXP46 Hard tension coated silver plated strings and they are terrific strings, however, your shameless promoting of these Alliance carbon strings has got me quite interested.
Well, I was just reviewing a set of strings, and feel no particular shame in that, so yeah.... BTW, I'm NOT affiliated in any way with Savarez... just sayin'.

I'll have to try a set of the Hannabach, as well, and compare them. I've still got that same set of Savarez on my guitar, now a full six weeks of pretty constant gigging, and they are still relatively bright and resonant and seem to be holding up very well under the rigors. Gotta say the durability factor is pretty impressive, they certainly last much longer than any nylon string I've played, which takes the sting right out of the purchase price.
2010 Godin Grand Concert Ambiance
2003 Godin Grand Concert SA MIDI-Classic
1995 Custom Turner Renaissance MIDI-Classic
2004 Yamaha CGX-171SCF Electric-Flamenco
1972 Alvarez-Yairi 5032 Classic
1989 Custom Vlado Proskurniak Hybrid Flamenco-Classic
2002 Ibanez PM-100 (Pat Metheny model)
2004 Custom Filomino Strat-clone
Old 07-05-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalton View Post
I've had some intonation problems with a few sets having the Alliance E and B carbon strings. My preference is to go with a G carbon (if it intonates well) and then use their Cristal strings for E and B. Or just a full set of Cristals.

The carbon strings are thinner, correct? This would contribute to intonation problems, I would think.

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 07-06-2010, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
The carbon strings are thinner, correct? This would contribute to intonation problems, I would think.

Jimmy
That would be incorrect. Carbon strings, generally, have intonation that is far superior to nylon, and they are way more stable for tuning. Carbon does not go sharp as it warms up, like nylon does, so when you start playing, you do not have to re-tune after each of the first few pieces. They are thinner, but that isn't what makes intonation work. It has more to do with material density and flexibility, and how it stretches when fretted.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:13 AM

The Savarez KF are one of my favorite strings. But alas, I am hooked on the Oasis carbon fiber strings, soft to the touch, great sound, stay in tune.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 07-07-2010, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

+ 1 on the Oasis Carbon Fiber Trebles. Very fine strings. I have had a little breakage on the high e of the normal tension sets, but I think it's because of the 18 hole tie on my guitars, and the need to bevel the entrance holes a little, to knock off the sharp edges. The high tension ones never seem to break, so I usually just replace the normal e, if it breaks, with a high tension e.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaddyT View Post
That would be incorrect. Carbon strings, generally, have intonation that is far superior to nylon, and they are way more stable for tuning. Carbon does not go sharp as it warms up, like nylon does, so when you start playing, you do not have to re-tune after each of the first few pieces. They are thinner, but that isn't what makes intonation work. It has more to do with material density and flexibility, and how it stretches when fretted.
I believe the reputation for "intonation problems" with carbon strings comes from the fact that proper compensation and setup of the guitar (for best intonation up the neck) may be slightly different with thin, stiff carbons than with fat nylons. Their intonation is quite stable and easy to manage but a given instrument may intonate slightly differently with carbon vs. nylon.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 07-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Personally, I have not found that to be a problem. I often put nylons on my guitars in the white, and play them for a few days before finishing, in case I need to do some tweaking. Then I put carbons on and have not noticed any difference. I suppose it could be my tin ear!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical