The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-05-2009, 07:29 AM

Default Just started playing again

Well i haven't played in a while and im starting to pick the guitar back up! When i did play i played a lot of bluegrass and country. And started flatpicking. But now I just can't seem to remember anything. I know most of the main chords, and thats about it.

So what are some good techniques to pick back up on. I never knew the scales so that would be a big help. And any crosspicking stuff or flatpicking ideas would be great.

Thanks,
John
Old 10-05-2009, 09:56 AM

Welcome to the AGF, John! You're among friends here.

Hard to know what to recommend. The more specific you can be about what you know or what you want to learn, the more helpful our suggestions can be. Are you familiar with the free lessons and demonstrations available on YouTube? I just typed in "bluegrass lessons guitar" and up popped a number of things that you might enjoy. Here's a link to one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqXs0CvSpNk I know he's playing a Taylor, but his ideas looked interesting to me.

Look forward to your joining in the conversation here!

cotten
Old 10-06-2009, 07:56 AM

im looking more towards the flatpicking style. i play here at work on our down time and don't have any speakers to listen to youtube. Any one have some good begginer literature?
Old 10-06-2009, 02:34 PM

I don't know what skill level you were at or how long you quit for, but I quit playing guitar for about 12 years while I raised my three daughters. It took me awhile to get started back up, but like everything else, practice and time returned me to my former level of playing. Just keep it up, it ill be well worth it.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:35 PM

I stopped playing in my 20's job family I guess life but I'm retired now and started playing again a couple years ago. I don't know why but it seems harder to learn now. Maybe my hands are not what they were when I was young. I found getting the right acoustic helps one that the neck fits my hands and string spacing is not to small. I found the lessons on kirbyscovers on you tube and his web page helped since I flat pick. Good luck
Old 10-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9t1tsi View Post
im looking more towards the flatpicking style. i play here at work on our down time and don't have any speakers to listen to youtube. Any one have some good begginer literature?
Hi 9t1tsi...
Welcome to the forum.

I suggest cheap headphones or ear buds to listen to YouTube...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write