The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-04-2008, 08:16 AM

Default G&L Comanche vs. Fender American Deluxe Strat...

...which is a better guitar? Does anyone have any practical experience with the semi-hollow Commanche? If so whats she like, is she that different compared to the solid body? I have played both the Commanche and the Strat and find the G&L to be brighter in the treble but both share the same warmth. I am more interested in opinions regarding build quality, durability and hardware differences. For example, are the z-coils on the G&L just a gimmick, same question regarding the pivot vibrato? Does is really keep the guitar in better tune than a Strat? Thanks for all your support, you're a great bunch. Keep the faith!

"In the trail of the barge and the light upon the brine he slaked these thoughts and the forces undivided
singing don't fall through the stars, don't fall through them..." Grey Ghost ~ Mike Doughty
Old 03-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Lot's o' questions!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcesUndivided View Post
...which is a better guitar?
Not better, per se. Different. There was a time when you got a lot more guitar for your money with G&L. Today, I'm not so sure. You do get some small-shop flexibility with G&L for cheaper bucks, and possibly some better wood.
Quote:
Does anyone have any practical experience with the semi-hollow Commanche? If so whats she like, is she that different compared to the solid body?
Not me. All solid for me.
Quote:
I have played both the Commanche and the Strat and find the G&L to be brighter in the treble but both share the same warmth. I am more interested in opinions regarding build quality, durability and hardware differences.
Mmmm... The necks on G&Ls are hand-shaped. Unless special-ordered, the "shouldering" tends to run towards a more "C" shape than a Fender "boat" shape. Some like, others don't. As a person who uses Gibsons quite a bit, I like the G&L C shouldering. I also like the passive bass and treble on my S-500. It really gives me lots of control from the guitar.
Quote:
For example, are the z-coils on the G&L just a gimmick,
The offset coils add a clarity to the high end, which you seem to have heard yourself. Some describe it as being a little more "hi-fi", even more than the G&L Magnetic Field pickups. Some like, others don't. Use your ears.
Quote:
same question regarding the pivot vibrato?
It is very much like the Wilkinson Trem. It is smoother than the classic Fender plate trem and allows up and down bend, where the classic Fender plate trem doesn't. I'm considering buying a second control arm and shortening it a bit. Does the Standard allow up bend? I think it is a lighter-duty version of the G&L dual fulcrum, frankly.
Quote:
Does is really keep the guitar in better tune than a Strat?
Much better than a classic, but Leo had twenty years and the ability to look at a bunch of other systems before he came up with the "dual fulcrum" for the G&L.
Quote:
Thanks for all your support, you're a great bunch. Keep the faith!
'pleasure.

Bob

Go HERE (the G&L forum) for more info.

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-04-2008, 06:52 PM

G&L, is the only way to go. The semi-hollow version of the Comanche has only been on the market for a month. I have an original 1989 Comanche V, and a limited edition 2007 Comanche Studio VI. The Z-Coil pickups have a lot of power and are very quiet. The G&L, Dual Fulcrum Tremolo is the best non locking tremolo on the market. Fender guitars aren't bad, and their Custom Shop models are very good. For the money, you can't beat a G&L!

1989 Comanche V

2007 Comanche Studio VI

Sprinter
'63 Fender Jazzmaster
'72 Fender Telecaster Bass
'74 Fender Telecaster
Old 03-05-2008, 06:36 AM

My opinion is the the G&L is a higher quality instrument.

Be cognizant of the set ups of both guitars. Its easy to pick an inferior guitar that has a superior set up.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:10 AM

Default Thanks for the replies...

...good point about the setups. As you could probably tell I was really looking for some kind words toward G&L; I really want to give the semi-hollow a spin. I am going to pick up a Commanche in the near future, it plays so sweetly I was anticipating the rub. Now that studio, holy smokes brother, what are all those coil splitters for? If you have the time give the 411 on that beautiful ride, my goodness, she is gorgeous. Its good to know the trem will keep things nice and in tune and the z-coils are quiet; they looked mustard to me but I often doubt that I actually know what I'm talkin' bout. Thanks again, keep the faith!

"In the trail of the barge and the light upon the brine he slaked these thoughts and the forces undivided
singing don't fall through the stars, don't fall through them..." Grey Ghost ~ Mike Doughty

Last edited by ForcesUndivided; 03-05-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:14 AM

Hey Forces,

I've no experience with Comanches, but the USA Legacy I picked up used on FleaBay is the best built Strat I ever encountered, with some very versatile sounds as well. It's everything a Fender should be and, sadly, no longer is.

Good luck,

Steve
Old 03-05-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcesUndivided View Post
Now that studio, holy smokes brother, what are all those coil splitters for? If you have the time give the 411 on that beautiful ride, my goodness, she is gorgeous. Its good to know the trem will keep things nice and in tune and the z-coils are quiet; they looked mustard to me but I often doubt that I actually know what I'm talkin' bout. Thanks again, keep the faith!

Here's the description for the switches directly from the G&L website:

The moment for a reprise of Leo's Comanche VI has finally arrived: G&L’s Custom Creations Department is pleased to introduce the G&L Comanche Studio VI. Reminiscent of the original Comanche VI, this guitar features G&L’s Magnetic Field Design Z-coil pickups, highly regarded for their robust single-coil tones while devoid of the 60-cycle hum typical of conventional single-coil pickups. Each Z-coil pickup is actually composed of two coils, one for the upper three strings and one for the lower three strings, and the coils are staggered such that low and high frequencies are accentuated, contributing to the richly textured tones of the instrument. The Comanche Studio VI, like the original Comanche VI, affords individual control over each coil in the pickup via one three-way switch per pickup.

PICKUP ON/OFF CONTROLS

Three 2-Way mini-toggle switches, each controls one pickup as follows:

1) Whole pickup on
2) Whole pickup off

COIL CONTROLS

Three 3-Way mini-toggle switches, each controls the coils of one pickup as follows:

1) Coil for lower three string on / coil for upper three strings off
2) Both coils on
3) Coil for lower three string off / coil for upper three strings on

Each pickup also has its own on/off switch controlling the whole pickup, enabling any combination of the three Z-coil pickups to be activated. The ability to shut off all three pickups for total silence without unplugging the guitar provides added convenience, whether between studio takes or sets on stage. Together with the three-way coil control switches, every possible combination of coils and pickups is achieved, resulting in a broad tonal palette appealing to studio session players and gigging musicians alike. Such flexibility is the hallmark of Leo Fender's work, and the Comanche VI remains a pure example of Leo's vision, allowing musicians to create multiple musical timbres and sonic layers from just one guitar.

Sprinter
'63 Fender Jazzmaster
'72 Fender Telecaster Bass
'74 Fender Telecaster
Old 03-06-2008, 07:39 AM

Default So thats what all those switches do...

...thanks for taking the time, I am going to look into test driving that model. It seems to be extremely versatile. I know the Fender S1 switching does essentially the same thing but these switches would be easier to use once you become familiar with the individual functions. The placement is actually quite intuitive. Thanks again, keep the faith!

Last edited by ForcesUndivided; 03-06-2008 at 08:30 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification