The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2016, 01:27 PM

Not in the same class as some of those mentioned here, but this morning I played two Yamaha LL16s in both rosewood and mahogany. Both solid wood throughout, with Engleman tops. I gotta say, I was mighty tempted, but really don't need another guitar right now. For $750 and $660 respectively, these are amazing instruments. Huge bass and great rich, warm balanced tone.
Price included a HSC.
I may have to reconsider my position and go back again. That's usually the kiss of death, however.

Roger
Old 05-27-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Not in the same class as some of those mentioned here, but this morning I played two Yamaha LL16s in both rosewood and mahogany. Both solid wood throughout, with Engleman tops. I gotta say, I was mighty tempted, but really don't need another guitar right now. For $750 and $660 respectively, these are amazing instruments. Huge bass and great rich, warm balanced tone.
Price included a HSC.
I may have to reconsider my position and go back again. That's usually the kiss of death, however.

Roger
Hate to add to your GAS, but those are great guitars.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2016, 01:41 PM

I played a Gibson Hummingbird Pro a couple years ago and quite literally lost an hour while playing it. I'd never played better.

Best
PJ
Old 05-27-2016, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

When Janis Ian played her signature Santa Cruz parlor unplugged about 3 feet away from me. I wasn't expecting the tone that came out of that small guitar. I had always heard it plugged in at concerts. Very cool to hear it just acoustically. Definitely grabbed my attention.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-27-2016, 01:51 PM

I have settled into 12-fret slope shoulder instruments for the sound my ears prefer, and 1-13/16 my preferred nut width... I just purchased my first (and probably last!), a Gibson Jackson Browne, based on the old Gibson Roy Smeck. I will add that this Gibson is the nicest guitar to sing with that I have ever played.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 05-27-2016, 02:00 PM

Many over the years, but the most recent were a couple of Furch OM's at Soundpure in Durham. Absolutely haunting tone! Something I'd never heard in a guitar before, something hard to quantify or put my fingers on, but it was different, and it was really good! Two completely different guitars, a spruce/rosewood deep body OM, and a sitka/walnut standard OM, but both had it. Been two months now, and I'm constantly comparing my guitars to the ones I played.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:11 PM
Get off my lawn kid

There's an old stock J-45 that I keep going back to GC to play.......

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-27-2016, 03:29 PM

I walked in a performance tent with a single performer on stage. I was so impressed with the sound of his guitar that I walked strait to the sound man and asked what equipment he had plugged in. I was told he plugged in a guitar cord and used the one microphone, and nothing else.
Well I bought 3 of his CDs he had for sale and asked him to talk to me after the rush was over. We had a great talk about acoustic guitars and the set up and his only tool was the Takamine G Style guitar pickup that he was using by adjusting the sound on the preamp.
I immediately started to study the sourse of his sound and ended buying Pro model Takamine guitars I could afford. I am not a pro but learning, and an engineer that looks for proper performance.
Last spring one Taylor owner came to the stage, and as I had done before, asked me what kind of pickup or equipment I was using, I answered that it was the Takamine guitar complete setup. He told me that after spending $2000 on the Taylor electric guitar, his sound was not as good as mine. I had the sound he was looking for all along. I could see the 3 holes where the Taylor knobs were removed. And that man is well respected guitarist in the area.
Now I can play my guitars with pride and it improves my singing everytime.

Sent from my B1-710 using Tapatalk
1982 F309 All Mahogany

Last edited by caissiel; 05-27-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:40 PM

Yes. And after being mesmerized completely, I bought them.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:43 PM

Yes! The McCollum in my signature.

I had just bought a stunning Goodall that got traded for it immediately.

I'll never own another.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 05-27-2016, 04:16 PM

Heard a recording of a Guild F-512 Custom Brazilian Rosewood.
Hauntingly beautiful.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-27-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flgatorgirl View Post
Ever hear a particular guitar that just instantly caught your attention and mesmerized you to the point you just couldn't turn away? I don't mean the player, or how the guitar is being played, but the sound, the actual voice of the guitar?
It happened to me twice. The first time was during the 1989 Grammy Awards when Melissa Etheridge strummed her Ovation Adamas 12-string on "Bring Me Some Water". I was truly captivated. The second time was a few weeks ago at a restaurant where a local artist was playing. He started finger picking a Martin HD-28v and I stopped and just stared. It was the most wonderful sound.
Another vote for the 12 string and I can name the track. Joan Armatrading's "Love and affection". This introduced me to the arpeggiated chord 12 string sound. It's a sound that will literally make me dizzy especially if the chords are played on a bright, chimey and orchestral sounding guitar like my Martin 12 string jumbo.
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 05-27-2016, 06:16 PM

Well as others have said, this has happened to me more than once. First time was a Froggy Bottom which I played at the now defunct Buffalo Brothers. Think is was an sj model or something like that. Price: totally unaffordable. I still want one. Some years later, it was the Collings OM2H, which instantly caught my attention, theoretically affordable, but I ended up buying a used Collings SJ for about 1/2 the price.

And finally sitting down at LA Guitar Sales, searching for a short-scale guitar, I played through quite a few when I was struck by Santa Cruz 00 Skye. Bought it a week later. First new guitar I ever bought; wow was it fabulous! Wow was it expensive! Brings a smile to my face every time I pick it up. Love at first strum, and it's stayed that way.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:21 PM

Any Kinnaird from either brother and all 1980s Guilds. Anybody...loan me some money and I will gladly repay you Tuesday.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flgatorgirl View Post
Ever hear a particular guitar that just instantly caught your attention and mesmerized you to the point you just couldn't turn away? I don't mean the player, or how the guitar is being played, but the sound, the actual voice of the guitar?
It happened to me twice. The first time was during the 1989 Grammy Awards when Melissa Etheridge strummed her Ovation Adamas 12-string on "Bring Me Some Water". I was truly captivated. The second time was a few weeks ago at a restaurant where a local artist was playing. He started finger picking a Martin HD-28v and I stopped and just stared. It was the most wonderful sound.
Guitar? No. Player? Yes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion