The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-27-2016, 01:10 PM

Default Sretuning issues after string changes.

Every time I change strings on one of my guitars, I can get the first 3 strings(EAD) to tune to pitch and the last 3 strings (GBE) won't tune to the correct pitch. The tuner(snark) says they are in tune. Its apparent when I start to play chords. I have to end up taking the guitar down to the guitar shop and have them tune it to pitch. I just learned to change strings recently because I got tired of paying the shop to change them for me. So I don't know what in the world is going wrong. Any ideas?
Old 05-27-2016, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

You are new to this, so I'll explain a couple of things.

1. New strings stretch and go flat. Put 'em on, and tune 'em up,leave for 1-24 hours go back and they'll have stretched some ore and need re-tuning.
Note: They settle down after that.

2. You digital tuner will show you that the un-fretted strings are in tune (at the nut) but not how they will be when you fret them...you see, it can't take into consideration how much you bend the strings when you press them down, or even if, maybe you pull/push them a little.

Note: Try this. Fret a 1st position G chord (220023) from top e to bass.

Tune the notes of your G chord using your digi-tuner.

If you play out of an E or a C shape , then the same process ca work.

This is what we old lags call "sweetening the tuning. It may well mean that the top E and B may sound just a tad flat when played open, but slightly flat is better than sharp.

3. A possibility - maybe the intonation of your guitar is out - check this like this guy:

If this is Ok, it may be that you string action is too high so that a set-up may well resolve your tuning issues.

I hope this helps.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair