The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 03-18-2017, 08:21 AM

Default 2007 Mcallister OM-28 Vintage (Sold Pending payment)

Mcallister OM 28 Vintage #163:

You don’t see these Vintage Series very often - When the top luthiers for “Vintage Martin Clones” come up, the list of U.S. builders is always headed by - TJ Thompson, Kim Walker, John Slobod, Julius Borges, Roy McAlister, and Jim Merrill (in no particular order)…. Other than Merrill, how often do you see vintage clones from these other builders come for sale? (and at what price?)

SO…. Here’s your chance. Circumstances force sale:

MODEL OM 28
TOP ADIRONDACK SPRUCE
BACK AND SIDES PANAMA ROSEWOOD
NUT WIDTH 1 3/4"
SCALE LENGTH 25.4"
SADDLE SPACING 2 5/16

This guitar has been discussed and semi-reviewed on the UMGF and Collings forums as a few members played it when it was for sale at Gryphon Stringed Instruments. Here is the link to the old Gryphon Post (plenty of pictures on this site):
https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/prod...ama-Rswd-45309

Here is what some of the other AGF members have said:
(These quotes are taken directly from other forum postings)

“I had the luck to talk with 2 of Roy's endorsers: David Crosby 9 years ago here in Italy after a gig and he was really mad about McAlister guitars ("I put away all my Martin and I only play my C model") and Jackson Browne last year (I had a backstage pass thanks to Roy ) who is truly very fond of Roy's guitars (ok he's a real guitar freak ).” - Andrea (on AGF)

“His Gibsons sound like a really, really good Gibson. Ditto the Martins.” - Mycroft (on AGF)

“I've only played one McAlister guitar and it was about a month ago at Gryphon it was a ADI/ZIR Jumbo model and it was exceptional one of the best guitars I've played.” - SuperB23 (on AGF)

“I have compared Roy's guitars to many of the finer handcrafted guitars that are out there in the world...Roy's guitars are simply second to none.” - Larry Pattis (on AGF)

“I own some superb musical instruments, but it's clear to me and to every other player who's visited my house and played through my collection that my McAlister baritone is, in fact, the very finest musical instrument I own.” - Wade Hampton (on AGF)

THE CASE IS A MARTIN TKL WHICH IS STRUCTURALLY SOUND BUT HAS A FEW MARKS AND SOME TAPE ON ONE END OF THE HANDLE WHERE IT IS WEARING AND PULLED FROM AGE …..

CONDITION OF THIS GUITAR : Recently checked by tech and sound both mechanically and structurally, straight neck, low action for finger style. Cosmetically, NO bumps, bruises, scratches (other than micro abrasions) , dents, mars (except very very slight at the headstock). But there are swirls or micro abrasions (which not only cannot be photographed but laid flat even in Halogen lighting cannot really be seen, you have to hold it at an angle). This is by no means a beater and is in fact in great condition for a 10 year old instrument but it is NOT AS NEW.

The Gryphon site photographed it better and gives a better description but I can send some photos from an iPad (warning: I am a terrible photographer) to better answer questions from potential buyers.

I have priced accordingly and to sell ; I am a very experienced buyer and seller here on the forum and you can no doubt check my references with those other members- —-

Repriced in the interest of moving this along - I know it a weak market but you don't see "Martin" builds of this caliber often and you almost never see McAlister Vintage series for sale - if you have decided to buy one this is your chance because you will almost certainly pay more to get one again:

Last edited by MWB5007; 03-31-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:51 PM

Have a couple of questions for you. Tried to find the specs on this model, but could not. Realize it is an OM, but they can vary a little bit from builder to builder - what is the width and depth of the lower bout? Can you describe the neck profile - big/chunky, low profile, "V", etc.? What is the difference between the Vintage OM and the Model C/Concert model? It sounds like the Model C is also based on an OM, but I thought I read the lower bout was a little wider and deeper than a standard OM.

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:08 PM

Sure:

Upper bout width is 11 1/4
Lower bout width is 15
Lower bout depth is 4 1/4 (but I am using a tape)

These are the same measurements as a Martin OM (give or take 1/8 on depth).

This guitar IS Roy McAlester's take on a 1930's Martin OM-28. It looks just like and is appointed like a 1930's Martin OM-28 right down to the square headstock without logo - although the headstock is gloss rather than matte and I am not knowledgeable enough to know if that is "authentic".

The voice is a Vintage Martin voice .....

Mcalsiter also makes his own designs and while I am not as familiar with them (as I have a predilection for vintage or vintage voiced instruments) they have a more modern voice style, a different headstock and logo - design parameters are unknown to me, sorry.

The neck is a bit like the modified V but much rounder (softer v) with perhaps a touch more cheek due to the rounding. It is chunkier than the Martin shallow C, performance or Froggy Bottom necks but rounder than Martin or Santa Cruz modified v and less chunky than Martin "Authentics" - I hope that helps, I wish I could be more scientific

Guitar Gallery has some audio of a 12 fret 00 Mcalister Martin Clone and I have played a few pre war 00 and 000 Martin 12 frets and (again not very scientific) I would say that the Guitar Gallery's Mcalister approaches the prewar Martin 12 fret voicing in the same way the Mcalister OM voicing approaches the prewar OM voice .... and the two sound of the same family with the voices differing due more to body size/shape/design than tonally; and in the way the prewar Martin 00 and 000 12 frets sound of the same family with the pre war Martin OMs give or take the body size/shape/design - they vary slightly but they are both clearly Martins.

Last edited by MWB5007; 03-21-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:01 PM

Wink

My McAlister C is more similar to an 000 shape, longer and deeper than most OMs. LB is 15 3/8" wide and 4 7/16" deep and weighs only 3.4 lb. That's the beauty of Roy McAlister.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTerral View Post
Have a couple of questions for you. Tried to find the specs on this model, but could not. Realize it is an OM, but they can vary a little bit from builder to builder - what is the width and depth of the lower bout? Can you describe the neck profile - big/chunky, low profile, "V", etc.? What is the difference between the Vintage OM and the Model C/Concert model? It sounds like the Model C is also based on an OM, but I thought I read the lower bout was a little wider and deeper than a standard OM.

Thanks.

Last edited by JohnnyD123; 03-18-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:34 AM

I'm surprised that this one has lasted even the week. I have sold 3 Froggy Bottoms and 2 Goodalls on this forum certainly for more money and a couple of Santa Cruz for only slightly less and none of them have been the equal of this Mcalsiter (IMHO).

I am an admitted vintage Martin admirer to be fair, but this OM-28 would be much, much harder to find than the Froggies, Goodalls or Cuz.

...and I believe I priced this one even more aggressively.

So.....Bump!
Old 03-24-2017, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

I would love to own this guitar, if the £ wasn't down the toilet I'd be after it.

An absolute bargain going here for a truly superb instrument.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 03-26-2017, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Michael is a great guy to deal with. We worked a deal that didn't quite work out because of an issue on my end. Michael is laid back, honest, great communications and very understanding and easy to work with. I don't know much about Mcallister guitars (other than they are out of my pay grade!) but I do know you can deal with confidence with Michael!
Old 03-26-2017, 01:28 PM

Wink "Some trade potential"

What might your trade interests be?

Current pics, good or bad, always helps! Buyers must see them and studio pictures never do much for me.

My McAlister is light as a feather, a dream to play, and one that I would not ever sell or trade. My son Adam should inherit mine! (It's his favorite too.) GLWS
Old 03-26-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Michael is a great guy to deal with. We worked a deal that didn't quite work out because of an issue on my end. Michael is laid back, honest, great communications and very understanding and easy to work with. I don't know much about Mcallister guitars (other than they are out of my pay grade!) but I do know you can deal with confidence with Michael!
Thank you so much Scott.

I will try get around to taking a few pics and getting then up later this week (but it does look like a Martin OM-28 from the '30s with Waverly butterbeans, gloss Brazilian headstock and overly luxurious polished bone (ebony eye) bridge pins....just in almost new condition.

Last edited by MWB5007; 03-29-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:12 PM

Bump on Wednesday
Old 03-30-2017, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWB5007 View Post
Mcallister OM 28 Vintage #163:

MODEL OM 28
TOP ADIRONDACK SPRUCE
BACK AND SIDES PANAMA ROSEWOOD
NUT WIDTH 1 3/4"
SCALE LENGTH 25.4"
SADDLE SPACING 2 5/16

Here is another thing you won’t see again: $4,750
I have never seen a McAlister OM-28 for sale on AGF. And I have never seen one below $5,000 anywhere. This is the best guitar I see in the For Sale section at a crazy good price (other than mine!). I have known MWB for a long time and have had several buys, sells and trades. Every guitar has well exceeded my expectations. Buy with confidence or should I say "steal" with confidence. I can't believe this is still here.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Wish I had one of your preferred trades! Having a rough time selling any of mine to justify this purchase.

Circa - Claxton - Furch - Goodall - Hatcher - Kopp - Martin - McIlroy - McPherson - Merrill - Santa Cruz - Taylor - Urlacher
Old 03-31-2017, 10:39 AM

This guitar has been repriced so I can stop "selling" and goof around in the discussion forums.

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Support bump for this beauty!
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 03-31-2017, 04:01 PM

Sold to the west coast ... Pending Payment!

Thanks all!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars