The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-02-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Petty

I have always been pleased with the tone changes to every guitar in which I've changed the saddles from man-made to bone. My ear is not yours, and likely my playing style is not yours either.

I take into account that I'm playing all-flesh and fingerstyle on guitars commissioned for my tastes and styles of play. So I have been spoiled by the best. Yet, even my lowly Voyage-Air VAOM-06 is better with bone, as was my Taylor 714ce (which came with Tusq). So perhaps my ear is just better tuned to bone than plastic or polymers.

I agree with Mr. Dalton that harder in saddles is not always better. If it were, we'd all be using Titanium saddles.

Totally agree, it's all in the style and preference. If I was a finger picker, I would most likely love bone in almost any guitar. As someone who finger picks, strums and solos, I sometimes require a warm tone. I switching back to tone tomorrow so I will try and report back with how I found the change from bone.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:43 PM

Thanks for the help everyone,
I've decided to not worry about the UST pickup with the barn door,
The guitar, to me, at the moment, sounds really nice and I don't want to risk that,
But I'm just wondering whether a sound hole pick-up may be the way to go?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification