The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-05-2016, 03:09 PM

Default Loudbox mini power question, can I do this...

I'm in charge of sound for a small float my community is taking part in. What I would like to do, if I can is power a Fishman Loudbox Mini from an inverter connected to the 12 volt system of a truck pulling the float. The power consumption of the Loudbox is 145W Max, I have not yet researched the output of possible inverters. Seems that this should be do-able, but, always the but, has anyone had or have any experience connecting a small amp (the Mini) to an inverter that gets its power from a 12V source.
The Mini would have a mic plugged in and an MP3 or similar device for recorded music.
I really hope this can work and would appreciate any guidance.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:35 PM

Perhaps this...

http://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Power-I...0v+car+adapter
Carvin PM10A
Fender Mustang I
Old 02-05-2016, 07:03 PM

If a generator is not out of bounds, check Harbor Freight. They have a small 900 Watt gas generator that regularly goes on sale for $99. If you catch the right coupon, $89. Small, light weight, works well. Might be a bit noisy for what you're planning, though.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:31 AM

Can't use a generator, just too much. May look at a high wattage inverter. Come on, there has to be someone who has powered an amp from a 12v source. How did you do it?
Old 02-06-2016, 02:49 PM

I have a 400 watt modified sine wave inverter that I bought ught from Harbor freight that Iuse with a 40 watt tube Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and an American Standard Fender Stratocaster, along with a friends 50 watt MarkBass amp and 2 Kustom PA50's and 2 Sennheizer E838 microphones that we have used for street faires, swap meets, flea markets and floats. The total wattage of all the amps is 190 watts which is about half of the inverter's peak rating. We play 45 minute sets and take 15 minute breaks. During the breaks, I sit in my car and idle it and enjoy the air conditioning and eat a light lunch to be fresh for the next set and keep my car's battery charged. Rule of themb - Buy an inverter that is rated at least twice the wattage as the total wattage of the total wattage of all the amps you are going to plug into it. These small inverters are not engineered for peak power continuous use. Also, manufacturers do not recommend using modified sine wave inverters with Class D amplifiers as it may damage the equipment. Many of us still take the risk, including me. So far, no hiccups. I also have battery powered P.A. systems and battery powered instrument amplifier and battery powered lighting for night time serenades and weddings on the beach. Ric
Old 02-06-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dllacy View Post
Can't use a generator, just too much. May look at a high wattage inverter. Come on, there has to be someone who has powered an amp from a 12v source. How did you do it?
Something like this would do the trick ... http://www.harborfreight.com/750-wat...ter-66817.html

I'd be tempted to borrow a deep cycle marine battery rather than run off the truck's system. No chance of noise.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:22 PM

A couple times a year, for no power gigs, I run our Yamaha DBR10 and Yamaha MG06x off of a cheap Harbor Freight MSW 400 watt inverter. You don't need an expensive sine wave inverter. I use a 12v sealed lead acid AGM 26 AH battery and judging how quickly it recharges after a 3 hour gig, I suspect any car could power it too. It might be too much power to draw through a cigarette lighter outlet but no problem clipped directly to the battery. Here is what I have:

https://www.chromebattery.com/12v-26...connector.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/400-wat...ter-61479.html

To do it over, I might spend more on the inverter and get one with a temperature controlled fan (this one runs all the time).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 02-07-2016, 06:50 AM

I run a Loudbox mini through a Powerbright APS300w pure sine inverter and a 12v/18ah lead acid SLA battery. In warmer weather I get 3.5 hours and in colder weather I get around 2 hours. I run at moderate to higher volumes.

http://tinyurl.com/zbtxbfy

I charge the battery nightly with a Black Decker 25 amp car battery charger.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
I run a Loudbox mini through a Powerbright APS300w pure sine inverter and a 12v/18ah lead acid SLA battery. In warmer weather I get 3.5 hours and in colder weather I get around 2 hours. I run at moderate to higher volumes.

http://tinyurl.com/zbtxbfy

I charge the battery nightly with a Black Decker 25 amp car battery charger.
What is the advantage of pure sine wave inverter?
Old 02-07-2016, 12:04 PM

A MSW modified sine wave inverter uses a stepwise approximation of a sine wave. At its simplest it is a positive pulse alternated with a negative pulse. It has the same RMS voltage as a pure sine wave inverter which produces a much closer approximation. For transformerless televisions, some low end computer power supplies, and some low end consumer audio electronics, the extra harmonics in the MSW will show up in the picture, stability, and noise (respectively). Call Fishman tech support and ask them. I've used my MSW inverter (approved when I called QSC) for a QSC K10, Mackie SRV350V3, JBL EON510, Yamaha DBR10, Mackie mixer, and Yamaha mixer with no issues. MSW inverters are very inexpensive and much simpler circuits (which might mean they are more reliable). My advice is to ignore the on-line reviews. It is relatively easy to do something stupid, these are not bullet proof top of the line devices, and the bad disgruntled reviews will turn you off to all of them. I've had no problems (sample size one, however...).

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 02-07-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:56 PM

There's one important consideration Jon didn't touch on and that's efficiency. Pure sine wwave inverters are supposedly around 80% efficient as compared to around 60% for MSW. The batteries weigh a lot and are no fun to charge all of the time.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:25 PM

I can't see other than the extreme cheapness of MSW inverters that the efficiency couldn't be as good for either type. Harbor Freight claims 87% efficiency for the MSW I am using, but I would not be shocked to learn their specs are not terribly accurate.

Jon Fields
Old 02-07-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
There's one important consideration Jon didn't touch on and that's efficiency. Pure sine wwave inverters are supposedly around 80% efficient as compared to around 60% for MSW. The batteries weigh a lot and are no fun to charge all of the time.
I would be running this from a vehicle engine battery 12v out as it is moving, running down the road, so not to be confused with a static battery as its sole source.
I picked up a a 400 watt inverter today, will experiment.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I would be running this from a vehicle engine battery 12v out as it is moving, running down the road, so not to be confused with a static battery as its sole source.
I picked up a a 400 watt inverter today, will experiment.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:09 PM

I've used cheap 12volt to 120 volt inverters for outdoors off my truck, to run a small PA with and it works fine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification