The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-02-2016, 09:02 PM

I have 4 SL's and LOVE them!! I could never get used to the fact that I had to put a massive piece of plastic up against the soundboard of my guitar… That's why I went with the Anthem SL. After many years of using the Baggs Dual Source, this has opened up a whole new world of tone for me.

I just adjust the mic set screw for each guitar, never have a need to move it.
Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner
‘96 Gibson J-100
Old 02-02-2016, 09:17 PM

The Baggs folks pretty much said that the SL was the "go to" pickup among their employees. It seems that unless you like more UST or need it, you get a better acoustic repro with the SL and with less fiddling around. I just dial in as much or little microphone as sounds good in any given situation and its all good.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:22 AM
Charter Member

I had the Anthem installed in my Collings OM1A recently. No regrets going for the full Anthem! I love having a battery indicator and there have been times when the phase push button made a nice difference. I generally adjust to the full Tru-Mic position, but I have found that I can get just a little more punch if I dial it back toward the element UST by about 10%.

Don't have an SL to compare to, but I have no reason to make any changes.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-03-2016, 02:30 PM

Have both. Prefer the SL.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 02-03-2016, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

It seems that many folks are confused on at least one point regarding the Anthem systems...

With the "Full" version, it isn't JUST a question of more or less of the UST... it's that you can actually direct the entire signal and frequency response of that UST to be the ONLY thing you hear...

Even if one should dial-in the balance of the SL towards the UST, you would, a) still be getting some of the True-Mic and, more importantly, b) you would ONLY hear the frequencies below ~200 hz from the pickup...

HUGE difference right there, and for many, I know they enjoy having the option of running their guitar with only the UST as the source of their amplified signal; indeed, I can envision scenarios where that would be beneficial and desired.

Just to clarify that point...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-03-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
It seems that many folks are confused on at least one point regarding the Anthem systems...

With the "Full" version, it isn't JUST a question of more or less of the UST... it's that you can actually direct the entire signal and frequency response of that UST to be the ONLY thing you hear...

Even if one should dial-in the balance of the SL towards the UST, you would, a) still be getting some of the True-Mic and, more importantly, b) you would ONLY hear the frequencies below ~200 hz from the pickup...

HUGE difference right there, and for many, I know they enjoy having the option of running their guitar with only the UST as the source of their amplified signal; indeed, I can envision scenarios where that would be beneficial and desired.

Just to clarify that point...
Good point. However, I am not sure if anyone was confused about that? Maybe I missed it but it seems like everyone gets the difference. Still, it's get to point it out.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Good point. However, I am not sure if anyone was confused about that? Maybe I missed it but it seems like everyone gets the difference. Still, it's get to point it out.
Just seemed that folks kept talking about the balance control in the SL like it would give them the option to use "only" the UST, and that would sound like dreck because of the SL's Element circuit amplifying only the bass frequencies (200 hz. and below?).

I am not certain, but perhaps the "Full" Anthem's Element UST is ALWAYS a full-range pickup, as far as frequency response goes? Maybe the full version's circuitry is such that, when the True-Mic is in the balance, THEN the UST is only the low tones?

I'm confused already, and I OWN the darn SL versions!
are near...

Old 02-03-2016, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I am not certain, but perhaps the "Full" Anthem's Element UST is ALWAYS a full-range pickup, as far as frequency response goes? Maybe the full version's circuitry is such that, when the True-Mic is in the balance, THEN the UST is only the low tones?
Here's the way I'd think about the blend on the Anthem (full version only). Imagine that you have a dual source pickup with sources A and B. You have a blend control that can go anywhere from 100% A to 100% B, or anything in between. Pretty normal, right? The trick is that on the Anthem, "A" is the Element+TruMic+crossover, while "B" is just the element. Yes, it makes your head hurt because the Element is part of both A and B, but thru the magic of electronics, that's how it works.

on the SL, that blend is set to 100% "A" (Element+TruMic+crossover)
Old 02-03-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Keith;

The title says it all... do NOT let your tech use any shim material with the Anthem... that Element "does not play well" with shims. My guy used one with the Anthem SL in my 6 string when it was first installed... and it sounded horrible! All out of balance from string to string, with a couple strings exceptionally "hot"... didn't understand what could be happening, until I spoke with the folks at Baggs and they gave me the "head's up" about not using shims.

Just FYI; a pre-warning...

I just played at a memorial service for a young man who passed recently; the boy's father wanted some acoustic guitar instrumental playing for brief periods during the service.

I had not played in the room (a mortuary), nor had I used their PA system before, but I spoke with one of the directors there and he told me they had a PA installed and a direct box up in the balcony area (where I would be). The director sounded like he knew his gear, so I just took my Anthem SL-equipped Angus and a short guitar cord and showed up.

The man running the mixer plugged me in, set the gain and I turned up the volume and played... and the guitar sounded perfect, with no fiddling or eq'ing necessary. After I played for a few minutes, one of the relatives who was on the soundboard added a touch of high end to the guitar, after checking with me that I liked the sound of it. Turned out he plays keyboards and does TV/Film soundtrack and incidental work up in Portland...

I was stunned at how good my guitar sounded through their system with little or no "tweaking" of knobs... again impressed by that Anthem SL. People kept telling me how great the guitar sounded, but I knew what they meant... that the PICKUP in the guitar sounded great!
Thanks for the heads up on the shims. It shouldn't be a problem because my J-45 already has an Element installed under the saddle. And I've been running a Pick Up The World Quackbuster ribbon transducer with it which gives a good sound. Its just that I keep having problems with the Quackbuster cutting in and out and my tech and I have not been able to stop it from happening from time to time. So I've decided to upgrade to a new system since this is my main guitar and I don't need intermittent problems popping up during worship services.
Good to hear that you've gotten compliments on your tone. That means both you and your pickup are doing your job well!

Gibson J-45, LR Baggs Anthem SL
Martin D-28, JJB Prestige 330
Seagull S-6
Gibson L-50
Old 02-04-2016, 02:14 AM

The good news is that we win either way, yeah? I've only played the 'full' Anthem, last night being the 3rd time live through a PA and for the 3rd time, I received so many post-set comments about the lovely tone of my guitar (J-45). Again, this was from folks who've heard me play before when I had the M80 in there. The Anthem system (full or SL) is simply a great pickup. Thanks, Baggs.
http://sptfy.com/94Ue
Old 02-15-2016, 02:20 PM

Well I had the Anthem SL professionally installed in my J-45 last week. Played it at church Sunday and it sounded great. Very natural and it didn't feedback with my standing pretty close to a monitor. So far very happy.

Gibson J-45, LR Baggs Anthem SL
Martin D-28, JJB Prestige 330
Seagull S-6
Gibson L-50
Old 02-17-2016, 12:45 PM

Where does the Anthem Stage Pro fit in the mix of the other 2 Anthem models?
Old 02-17-2016, 06:46 PM

I'm glad I found this thread! As going to order the full version, but am now ordering the SL and saving $100! Looking forward to not having to drag my aura pedal around...

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 02-17-2016, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion01 View Post
Where does the Anthem Stage Pro fit in the mix of the other 2 Anthem models?
Same basic components as the full or SL versions, but in a "barn-door" housing on the upper side-bout of the guitar... the "Pro" may have different options for controlling the sound and balance of the True-Mic and the Element, too...

I really can't imagine installing one in an existing guitar, though; that would be one BIG hole to cut out!
are near...

Old 02-19-2016, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Same basic components as the full or SL versions, but in a "barn-door" housing on the upper side-bout of the guitar... the "Pro" may have different options for controlling the sound and balance of the True-Mic and the Element, too...

I really can't imagine installing one in an existing guitar, though; that would be one BIG hole to cut out!
It makes a nice replacement for something like the Fishman prefix plus and older barn-door type pickup systems...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification