The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-21-2016, 06:22 PM

Default Acoustic amp recommendations....

I am looking for a smallish acoustic amp that I can play with at home and some small room gigs. I would like something that doesnt break the bank and one that you can run a mic (that sounds decent) and guitar through. Recommendations?
Old 01-21-2016, 09:03 PM

You'll find lots of other threads on that topic here, and they all mention a number of good options. My personal favorite, though I haven't tried 'em all, is the Fishman Loudbox Mini. Right around $300 and a quality amp for sure. Lots of other people are big fans of these too. They sound great and it's a great cant'-go-wrong choice, in my opinion. I sure you'll get some other ideas here; your own ears are the best advisors though. Good luck!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 01-21-2016, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

There are plenty of great options for a small amp that can handle vocal and guitar... but the "and not break the bank" part is what will limit you...

My suggestion is to take YOUR microphone and YOUR guitar with you and actually plug in and play and sing through whatever amp you are considering... I did this when shopping for my Bose system; called Guitar Center and arranged to come in and truly audition the L1 system... told the fellow that I wasn't about to put money into something I wasn't sure about. It was no problem, kind of fun, actually; a bit like a brief gig of sorts.

And, the bottom line was that I discovered how that Bose system really reacts when playing through it... which was the point.

I'm afraid that what you will find is that the less expensive gear will fall far short of satisfying you with a guitar and voice through it... depends upon your own ear and what you want to hear, of course.

Your choices seem to be the Loudbox or the Ultrasound DS series, although I'm sure someone else will chime in with other recommendations as well...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-21-2016, 11:55 PM

Take a look at a Roland AC-33. Compact and only 10 pounds, AC/battery powered and has two separate channels plus an XLR connection for a mic. Effects such as reverb, and chorus not to mention a 40 second looper. Under $400 many places.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

Default Acoustic amp recommendations....

I've owned many include fenders, Fishman, etc all good recommendations but ultimately I only needed something like the Roland Mobile AC acoustic amp. Very small and runs on batteries. Separate mic/guitar/audio inputs. Includes reverb and chorus. $129 or less with coupon.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:30 AM
Charter Member

It may fall in the "break the bank" category, but I am completely satisfied with my Schertler Jam 150 - It wasn't cheap, but it would have been cheaper if I hadn't bought and then sold a couple of other amps trying to find a really good less expensive alternative. It has three channels, sounds fantastic with acoustic guitar and mics, and looks good enough to be left in the living room -
Old 01-22-2016, 09:38 AM

It looks like the Fishman loudbox mini is really small. Does it have enough volume to play a small room gig?
Old 01-22-2016, 09:39 AM

By the way thanks for all the recommendations so far guys!
Old 01-22-2016, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Carvin AG200...Hands down.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 01-22-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reviveourhomes View Post
It looks like the Fishman loudbox mini is really small. Does it have enough volume to play a small room gig?
Yes, definitely. The Fishman Loudbox and the Rolands are great suggestions.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 01-22-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
It may fall in the "break the bank" category, but I am completely satisfied with my Schertler Jam 150 - It wasn't cheap, but it would have been cheaper if I hadn't bought and then sold a couple of other amps trying to find a really good less expensive alternative. It has three channels, sounds fantastic with acoustic guitar and mics, and looks good enough to be left in the living room -
That or a Jam 100 is a good one and done solution.

hunter
Old 01-22-2016, 12:17 PM

I have played through a lot of the smaller "budget" (sub $500) acoustic amps and never was that impressed. The Fender acoustic offerings are mostly junk (and I'm a Fender electric guitar, and electric guitar amp guy), the Marshall ASD50 was actually pretty nice, and although I am not a huge fan of Fishman, the Loudbox Mini was VERY impressive. Didn't care for the Rolands at all. With all that said, I ended up with a really, really nice pre-Fender SWR California Blonde. Got it used for $400. Way more than you'll ever need at home, but will also be able to pretty much do ANY gig you want. Super straight-forward and simple controls, no useless effects aside from a half-decent reverb, has effects loops for each channel (mic and instrument), DI out or each, and just sounds **** good.

If you're on a budget I really think you'd be best to exercise patience and scour Craigslist for used acoustic amps. Fishman Loudbox Minis pop up fairly often, of you can luck out and find something like I did. I have been searching since last March for an acoustic guitar amp. Bought a new Fishman and took it back. Did the same thing with the Marshall. They just didn't impress me all that much, or at least enough to keep them, and I'm now glad I held out for the SWR. However I also intend on using the amp for solo, singer/songwriter stuff and with a full band as well. But if I was just looking for something to noodle around with at home, maybe take to jam with buddies, etc., I'd probably go for a Loudbox Mini over all the others. The sound coming out of that little amp was great.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
You'll find lots of other threads on that topic here, and they all mention a number of good options. My personal favorite, though I haven't tried 'em all, is the Fishman Loudbox Mini. Right around $300 and a quality amp for sure. Lots of other people are big fans of these too. They sound great and it's a great cant'-go-wrong choice, in my opinion. I sure you'll get some other ideas here; your own ears are the best advisors though. Good luck!
Listen to Sean. He knows this topic well. There are lots of good amps, but at the $300 mark, this is one of the best, and my personal favorite. Below $300, there are a few good choices by Acoustic, Ultrasound too. But, for the additional $50 you'll get an amp that can, and is, seriously gigged by musicians.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Carvin AG200...Hands down.
Yeah, at the $400 mark, this one is also tough to beat.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reviveourhomes View Post
It absolutely does, yes. Lots of bang; minimal buck.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification