The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-03-2014, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Default Vox AC15C1X

so i have this Vox AC15C1X being delivered tomorrow and i don't know much about it. what do i need to go back and forth between a clean sound and a distorted or overdriven sound. i know nothing about pedals and such so shoot away. i play a telecaster.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:25 PM

WoW. Interesting amp bobbyg67, I didn't realize that Vox offered the classic-sounding Alnico Blue loudspeakers in anything other than the hand-wired amps. I hope you'll post some sound samples or a Youtube video.

FWIW, I ordered a handwired 2x12 AC30 HW2x w/Alnico Blues, back in May of last year,,,, and it's still back-ordered.

Enjoy that new amp.

I'm not sure if this video helps, but this video is an overview of the AC15/AC30, posted at Vox'x website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR2Uy1R5BjE

Last edited by Bobby1note; 04-03-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

You will need overdrive pedals to do what you are wanting. You really can't do it with just a footswitch on the amp unless you run an A/B box into both channels and crank the channel volume on the TB channel (not very practical, just covering all the bases!). There are a ton of good OD pedals, so go to some music stores and just play a bunch. For a tele I would try one of the "tubescreamer" clones (TS9, TS808, etc.) that many people make versions of, or something from the Fulltone line.

BTW I was just down there in Melbourne hunting hogs at Hoppy's.

'79 Yamaha CJ-838S, '03 Martin D-41, '03 Taylor 600 SPEC, '99 Taylor 714, '08 Gibson J45R, '01 G & L Legacy
Old 04-03-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
You will need overdrive pedals to do what you are wanting. You really can't do it with just a footswitch on the amp unless you run an A/B box into both channels and crank the channel volume on the TB channel (not very practical, just covering all the bases!). There are a ton of good OD pedals, so go to some music stores and just play a bunch. For a tele I would try one of the "tubescreamer" clones (TS9, TS808, etc.) that many people make versions of, or something from the Fulltone line.

BTW I was just down there in Melbourne hunting hogs at Hoppy's.

I agree with all this. I used that amp for awhile when Ben Fargen was building my AC15 and tried ALOT of OD pedals and a Tubescreamer type (Mad Professor Little Green Wonder) was by far best! I even tried the Crowther Hot Cake which SO many AC15 users prefer.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:48 PM

If I remember your music tastes from your other threads, something along the line of a Tube Screamer pedal would be my choice - a classic circuit for older rock sounds. With a lower power amp like that Vox, you should be able to get some sweet breakup with just turning up the volume.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars