The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-31-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
I've been a rhythm player for over 40 years. I explain it as 1 year of playing, 40 times over. It is only in the last few years that I started playing guitar with some adult hobbyists at a local music school. It's a lot of fun and I have been pushed/pulled out of my comfort zone. I'm trying to learn some lead, trying to understand theory, and most of all, contribute to the sound of the band as a whole, whether in vocal harmony or in whatever guitar parts I can add. It's been fun, and I am definitely trying to bring something good with me each week. Tough to find enough practice time between my day job, 2 kids (9 and 12), my wife and household responsibilities. Having fun learning again, though.
That' a great story Mike! I think the ability to improvise is crucial, but it has to get beyond the improvisation being a blizzard of disjointed pentatonic licks. It needs to reach a level of listening to each other and trying to compliment, not compete. Playing for the service of the song.

Last edited by terrapin; 03-31-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:50 PM

Heck, that's ALL I do (not much of a writer or singer...but I can come up with a part to fit a tune)

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars