The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-28-2014, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Default Michael Kelly Guitars

Hi all,

Anyone familiar with this brand? Have some interesting models, including Les Paul styles and a Taylor Tish looking model with a Piezo. Not many local places carry these, so wondering if anyone has experience with them.

Thanks!!
Mike

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-28-2014, 09:48 AM

I've seen them but can't recall if I ever played one. I have the same question as you do about the quality of the M Kelly guitars. I'm wondering if they're on par with an Epi Les Paul or below (or above).
Old 03-28-2014, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

I'm looking at Reverend, specifically the Sensei P90. I was checking out if anyone sold Revernds locally, and it turns out one shop does, but another shop in CT that carries Reverend also carries MK, and they look pretty cool. Soundclips/YouTube of the Hybrid sound very nice. Just curious...most likely I'll end up with the Sensei in trade for a LP I don't play. Too lazy to try to sell it, and the market is lousy anyway.

Outside the original post...it seems that my local shops just don't have much in the way of variety, and those that carry different brands don't stock many, so I can't get my hands on a reasonable sampling of G & L or anything like that. I have a couple of GCs within easy drive, but that's mostly "the usual". That's not bad, but boring after a while. I'm on Long Island, and it can be a challenge in terms of time to get into Manhattan or out to Staten Island (not to mention a fortune in tolls). As I said, one local guy stocks Reverends, and The Music Zoo has some higher end guitars like Suhr, but I have to head to Connecticut and further to play some of these other off-brands.

Anyway, still curious about MK, so hopefully someone will chime in. Thanks Dru.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 03-28-2014, 01:39 PM

I own a Michael Kelly Patriot Custom in flame maple top. I had read an article about them in Guitar Player magazine a few years ago and bought one from Amazon. Real nice construction and equipment on it, ( tuners, pick ups, bridge, etc). Folks who have tried it really like it. I do too.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

I have seen bad played a number of those guitars... Each one has looked and played like guitars voting much, much more... VERY NICE!!! A lot nicer than Epiphones...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-28-2014, 05:19 PM

Default Micahel Kelly Guitars

Hi Mike,

I have had a MK Hybrid Special for about a year now. Bought it from Hello Music and had to return it to MK Guitars right away due to a defective Fishman board. They promptly replaced it and have played it regularly in a small church since. MK guitars customer service seemed very good, promptly answered all of my e-mails. Fit and finish is good, intonation could be better but is fine for my use. Using a stereo Y cable I plug the "acoustic" sounding bridge pickup directly into a Schertler Jam 150 amp, the mag pickups go thru an iPad running Jam Up, volume pedal, then to another channel on the Jam 150. I'm not much of an expert on mag pickups but suspect the included Rockfields are just OK. Maybe someone else can chime in about Rockfields. Overall I like the guitar alot and would probably replace it with another if necessary.

Bob
Old 03-28-2014, 07:09 PM

My music teacher really liked the guitar but thought the pickups could be a little better. Other than that, the rest got a thumbs up from a man who knows.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

They've been responsive to e-mailed questions. Nice to hear about the hybrid. I really like my piezo-equipped electrics. Pickup swaps aren't too expensive (depending on the pickup) and could be the mod that takes it from "good' to "great." Thanks for the answers!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 03-30-2014, 05:15 PM

I've had an MK. A Patriot Q to be precise. Well built, good fit and finish, and great player. Mine was older, you should do well with one.
Fender: '69 Mustang Competition; '91 Stratocaster Plus; '11 Telecaster Standard
Gibson: '11 Les Paul Studio Deluxe 60s
Epiphone: '11 ES 339 Pro
PRS: '07 CE22; '03 Santana SE; '12 Tremonti SE
Bradley: '77 Les Paul Custom
Squier: '99 Precision Bass

Last edited by Auriemma; 03-30-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Thanks. Leaning toward Reverend for now (can't get the Sensei RA out of my head), but will try to find a shop within "daycation" distance so I can check these out.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 03-31-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Thanks. Leaning toward Reverend for now (can't get the Sensei RA out of my head), but will try to find a shop within "daycation" distance so I can check these out.
I loved my Sensei RT, but it was cursed with a twisted neck that could not be repaired--not a knock on the Sensei line or Reverend, just bad luck with that particular guitar. That said, I would jump on another Sensei if one came my way.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:27 PM

I have no experience with their electrics but I did just acquire a brand new MK Series 60 acoustic. I got it on sale for $280 (street is $500) and I would seriously put it up against any guitar out there in looks and sound. It Is that good. I was blown away. It had a couple high frets (13 & 14) but other than that it is amazing. A setup and a little fret work doesn't scare me so I would definitely not hesitate to buy another. I wish I had more insight but my 60 is the only one I have played but it is enough to make me a fan.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Well, it's definitely a Reverend RA. Looking to pull the trigger quickly. I've got a Gibby LP in the classifieds and hoping that sells quickly as well so I can cover the Reverend cost. I may try the Michael Kelly line in the future, though. The one I want doesn't have a belly cut, and that's a must for me. The Reverend is about as comfortable a guitar as I have ever played. And the sound is awesome, especially given its price range.

Thanks!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars