The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Default Older Martin classicals

I have been looking for a good vintage nylon guitar that is comfortable to play and I am particularly interested in some of the old Martin classical guitars since it seems they are sort of a classical/folk hybrid type of guitar. I also really like the vintage vibe and tone so I am not looking for anything that is recent.

Does anyone here have much experience with either the mahogany or rosewood models? Anyone have one for sale for a reasonable price? The 00-18G, 00-18C, 00-28C and 00-28G all look quite nice.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:40 PM

I have a 1967 00 16C that I'd sell to you. I recently had the frets leveled and a bone nut custom made by Michael Bashkin in Fort Collins, CO. It plays great and sounds even better.

I'm looking for around $1050.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin Nylons

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcf View Post
I have been looking for a good vintage nylon guitar that is comfortable to play and I am particularly interested in some of the old Martin classical guitars since it seems they are sort of a classical/folk hybrid type of guitar. I also really like the vintage vibe and tone so I am not looking for anything that is recent.

Does anyone here have much experience with either the mahogany or rosewood models? Anyone have one for sale for a reasonable price? The 00-18G, 00-18C, 00-28C and 00-28G all look quite nice.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Here's a video demo of some of the models you are considering. PM me if you have specific questions about any particular model. The 00-18G (spruce/mahogany) is my personal favorite. Also see the UGMF Forum "Buy and Sell" for a '58 00-18G at a decent price. I will probably have a '61 or '47 00-18G for sale in the next week or so (after I decide which one to let go).

Demo Video

Chris
Old 12-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

I played a couple late 50's 00-18Gs that my local GC had a few years back and I remember being really impressed with them. I've often thought of buying one since playing those two. Really great sounding lively guitars!!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 12-19-2012, 04:07 PM

Find an N-20 better than any listed. Can be brazilian rosewood, expensive or east indian.

IMNSHO Martin does not make a credible "classical" guitar.
Too many other viable options.

I do like the N-20 for folk/classical. Emphasis on folk.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Default I agree. They seem more "folk" than "classical".

The 18G here on the UMGF I just missed out on but the 00-28g looks nice. And the 00-21NY as well if you do not mind getting some work done on a guitar. Anyone own or played either of these? http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...8#.UNXQ6vfnbIU
Old 12-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcf View Post
The 18G here on the UMGF I just missed out on but the 00-28g looks nice. And the 00-21NY as well if you do not mind getting some work done on a guitar. Anyone own or played either of these? http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...8#.UNXQ6vfnbIU
I have owned a 0-16NY and played a friend's 00-21NY quite a bit. They are excellent guitars for fingerstyle or folk players. If you can find someone with a 00-18V (a current Martin model), I think it will give you some idea of how the 00-21NY will feel. I think the NY models have slightly wider nuts (1-7/8" versus the 1-3/4" on the 00-18V), but to me they feel very similar. These guitars are very easy on the fingers. One of the few steel-string guitars that feels as comfortable as my nylons.

As for the 00-28G, I am a real fan of all these old pre-1970 Martin nylons. I do not try to compare them to true classical guitars...they are simply not comparable. However, once again for fingerstyle or folk playing, these guitars represent a lot of value for the money you spend on them. This, of course, assumes they are priced fairly which includes discounting them to cover or subsidize the cost of any needed work.

I have bought guitars from the seller in the past and have been pleased that he represented the guitars fairly. IMO, these are both worth looking into.

Last edited by CCFingerstyle; 12-22-2012 at 11:41 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical