The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-05-2012, 01:59 PM

Default KK Classical Pickups

Anybody used these with any success? I've got a Martin Nylon that I'm thinking about electrifying.

I suppose I'd probably want somebody to install it for me?
Old 12-05-2012, 03:17 PM

I installed one a couple of guitars ago. I didn't care for it much, but I must confess that it was installed in an inferior instrument.

I now play a much better guitar and, on the recommendation of a highly-skilled classical guitarist friend, I installed a Baggs Element (the one for steel strings) and have been very pleased.

I can heartily recommend the element.

There, my $.02.

Aparicio AA100 Classical Spruce/IR
Guild GAD-50e (meh)
Old 12-06-2012, 10:45 AM

Thank you!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:01 AM

Had one in a classical,,,very bass dominant and you have to roll off the bass
or the amp might "howl"

im not a fan of super glueing anything to the top..

but
Old 12-06-2012, 02:58 PM

I'm curious about the same thing. I'm thinking of getting a Cervantes Crossover II and installing the K&K classical into it. Alejandro Cervantes himself recommended the K&K system and you read a lot of good things about the K&K, it is just really hard to know what to do because there are always reviews that say they didn't care for it, no matter what pickup it is.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:55 PM

I am not a fan of K&K's in guitars, period. I have tried them in 4 different guitars (2 classicals, 2 steel string) and pulled them out within weeks. Too much body noise, too much string squeak, too boomy, you get the idea. That said, I love K&K's in ukuleles, where you don't have the big body to trash up the sound.

As always, YMMV. There are lots of folks on this very forum that swear by K&K, so, just one man's opinion.

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 12-11-2012, 04:31 PM

Default k and k lowden s25j

I have a lowden s25j that has a k and k pure western installed in it. It sounds great, real natural.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stutheit View Post
Anybody used these with any success? I've got a Martin Nylon that I'm thinking about electrifying.

I suppose I'd probably want somebody to install it for me?
I tried one in my '62 Martin 00-18C and was not overly impressed. Using a L.R Baggs Para Acoustic D.I. box along with it helps. But that is similar to the "Give a Mouse a Cookie" problem.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:19 AM

The K&K pickups have some of the most mixed reviews of any guitar product I have ever seen in my life. So many people love them and say they are amazing sounding and there are just as many people who had problems with them and don't like them. Those of you who tried them, could you tell us what pickup you were using? Were you just using the pure system that attaches on the underneath of the bridge/soundboard or were you using that and the FanTaStick that goes under the saddle, or were you using those things with the microphone also? K&K offers so many combinations of pickups that I'm wondering what system everyone was/is using? I'm looking at getting the PowerMix Trinity that uses all three systems and has the onboard 3 channel preamp so you can choose which of the three systems you want to hear. Seems pretty cool but I can't find reviews on that setup. It is **** pricey but it seems really promising.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:22 AM

Wow, just realized that this forum doesn't even let you say the d word. That is some serious language restrictions, but ok. D serious stuff.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:42 AM

As much as I like the K&K Pure Western Mini in my previous steel string guitars, I was really disappointed in a K&K Classic I had installed in nylon string crossover....very dull and lacked clarity in the trebles. It was installed by the guitar's builder who had plenty of experience, so me thinx it was the pick-up...

Better options out there. Loved my Schertler Dyn-G when it comes to classical amplification.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:29 AM

Well, many of you are confirming my experience with the K&K pickup--I found it to be overly boomy & bassy.

I gig a good deal and get complimented on my sound often. I'm using a Baggs element (Steel String model) in conjunction with a K&K Meridian mic.

The Baggs sounds good just on it's own though. If I had to find a problem with it, it's only that it sends a HOT signal. It was overloading my K&K Quantum Blender to the degree that it was constantly crapping out and sounding "static-y" as though the battery in the pickup were dying. Once I switched to a DTar blender, however, all of that stopped.

another $.02.

Aparicio AA100 Classical Spruce/IR
Guild GAD-50e (meh)
Old 12-12-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFingerstyle View Post
I tried one in my '62 Martin 00-18C and was not overly impressed. Using a L.R Baggs Para Acoustic D.I. box along with it helps. But that is similar to the "Give a Mouse a Cookie" problem.
Haha, I love the "Give a Mouse a Cookie" reference. That seems to be the way it goes with guitar amplification. Well said.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:06 AM

I've had a K&K PWM installed in my Ramirez 4E (1990) for a few years now, and have always been pleased with the response when run into an AER Alpha. The mix of frequencies seems balanced to my ears, and I've always loved the non-invasive nature of the K&K.
Cheers
Jordan
Old 12-20-2012, 07:37 AM

I have used UST style for many years; with the exception of my Gibson J-150 factory installed Fishman matrix, I've not have good balance across the strings with under saddle pups. So, 1.5 years ago installed JJB 330 bridgeplate pickup (same technology as K&K PWM), I've been a happy camper. I've installed around 7 of these as well as a K&K PWM in my Martin OM-35.

The K&K Mini has a boomier mid-low range; the JJB 330 not as much. Both are about equal in the high register. The price is very attractive with JJB 330 at $50 shipped to your door. The K&K is around $90 street price.

I perceive that most that have had problems with the K&K mini or JJB 330 is EQ issues with amplification and preamps; getting the boosted midrange EQ'd down is a necessity. Once you get that under control...IMO it's the most realistic sounding pup out there.

Hoffman L-00 w JJB
Kronbauer TDK w K&K
Martin OM-35 w K&K
Gibsons: J-150 w Fishman, CL-35 w JJB, Hummingbird w JJB, Les Paul Custom
Crafter TM-035 w JJB
Recording King ROS-647 w JJB
Voyage-Air OM-04, Washburn Red Rocker
Amps: Crate 2x12, Peaveys, LoudBox Artist
Pickups: JJB & K&K Mini
Callaway Big Bertha Clubs

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical