The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Should you not be able to find a Gibson Guitar Rodeo, you might want to check out the selection at Musicians Friend. They have a bazillion different Les Paul models, have a great returns policy, and will probably be having a tremendous Labor Day Sale (15-20% off perhaps). If you're thinking that Les Pauls are always excluded during those great sales, fear not. When you phone in your order, there's no such thing as "exclusion." Just a thought....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-25-2010, 05:00 AM

As a proud owner of several Gibson Les Paul's, don't look past the deals that can be found on craigslist, especially the faded's. They are a very good value. I've had great luck posting WTB (want to buy) adds on craigslist and scoring great gear at great prices. Of course you need to be careful with what you buy. But you can save a TON of money and still get an awesome guitar. In fact, I haven't purchased a brand new guitar in years. I strictly buy used because the savings are so good. I take every guitar I buy to my trusty tech who sets em' up just the way I like em'. A little belt rash on the back or a small scratch here and there...doesn't bother me a bit as long as the guitar itself is solid. Trust me, the audience can't see the back of your guitar and they won't be close enough to see the small scratches....they add character to the instrument. I've purchase the following guitars used within the last year: 93 Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus, 97 Gibson Les Paul Gem Ruby, Jackson DKN Pro II, Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet w/Bigsby, a PRS, and a Tele. I saved a ton and won't lose $$ on a trade or sale.

Last edited by vbf; 08-25-2010 at 05:05 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:51 AM

If for my 50th birthday I were treating myself to a guitar I had always wanted, I would want a brand new, pristine guitar. If I was very specific about which guitar, say a famous, iconic one and asked for advice on where to buy it, I wouldn't want to read a post saying don't buy the one you've always wanted, buy my favorite brand.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
If for my 50th birthday I were treating myself to a guitar I had always wanted, I would want a brand new, pristine guitar.

That is kind of the way I feel. I normally buy used and have purchased and sold many guitars on this forum and others, however for my 50th I want to get a brand spankin' new, I know I paid too much, why does this case smell funny guitar.

Regarding Craigslist, as I mentioned I live in a very rural area and what shows up on the local CL is pretty sad. I could drive "to the big city" which is simply to far away to make it worthwhile.

MusiciansFriend Labor Day sale sounds interesting, A 15% to 20% coupon would be great.

I am also talking with Wildwwod guitars to see what they have in stock and at what price.

Greg- I looked at your website and those are beautiful instruments but a little beyond my budget, also as I mentioned I am looking to purchase new. However that goldtop in the classifieds is beautiful and great deal for someone

Ah... the fun is in the hunt..

Why can't we just get along
Old 08-25-2010, 10:27 AM

+1 on www.lespaulforum.com You can learn a bit about the different models as well. also there's a LP section on forums.gibson.com with a "Les Paul 101" thread that gives an overview of the different models. You may learn that you have a preference as to solid wood (Historics), "weight relief" or Swiss-cheese holes under the top (Traditional), or chambered/hollowed out under the top to make it lighter (Standards). Also there were quite a few parts changes on the 2008 Standards. My preference on a new Standard is the Standard Traditional. You should also get an idea of the neck profile you like - Historics are generally fatter but since '09 they changed again. Some standards like the Classics came with '60 slim-taper neck; the Traditional has a 50's rounded neck. the '08 Standard has an asymmetrical neck profile. Also the pickups and bridges are different on the Historics compared to the Standards.

Over at the LP forum you're going to read, at least twice on each thread, that it's better to buy a used Historic (from the Gibson Custom Shop) than a new Standard (from the main GibsonUSA production factory).
Old 08-25-2010, 10:54 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
If for my 50th birthday I were treating myself to a guitar I had always wanted, I would want a brand new, pristine guitar. If I was very specific about which guitar, say a famous, iconic one and asked for advice on where to buy it, I wouldn't want to read a post saying don't buy the one you've always wanted, buy my favorite brand.
Sorry for raining on your parade but if it's brand new you want then Gibson would be the last place I'd look. The quality in recent years is not what it was. I've tried numerous new Gibsons and can't figure how their QC works because I read a interview where Henry talks about how if a guitar has any defect or flaw they smash it on the factory floor. The ones I've seen in the shop have all had issues. Be it finish flaw or doesn't play right or other issues. I couldn't imagine the custom shop being any different.

Just my two cents.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkinminer View Post
Sorry for raining on your parade but if it's brand new you want then Gibson would be the last place I'd look. The quality in recent years is not what it was. I've tried numerous new Gibsons and can't figure how their QC works because I read a interview where Henry talks about how if a guitar has any defect or flaw they smash it on the factory floor. The ones I've seen in the shop have all had issues. Be it finish flaw or doesn't play right or other issues. I couldn't imagine the custom shop being any different.

Just my two cents.
I think you may have missed my point. I wasn't referring to any specific brand in in my last post.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars