The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-19-2009, 08:07 PM

Default Taylor SolidBody - set-up questions

I just got a Taylor SB Standard. It's a beauty, but the set-up is not right. The action was too high so I called Taylor since I wasn't used to the new bridge. Unfortunately, as I was tightening the center post, the bridge broke

Taylor sent me a new bridge and I just got it. I believe I have it installed correctly, but I still can't get the action any lower than 2mm (bass). It won't even adjust any lower.

Any Taylor SB owners get their action any lower than that? What are you running yours at?

There aren't any Taylor dealer near me, but I will be traveling to Louisville, KY on Friday. So if anyone knows anyone who is familiar with these, please let me know. The pickups sound great, but if it doesn't play good...

Ibanez JS1
Ibanez jS10 Chrome Boy
Epiphone 335 Royale
Fernandes late 80's strat
1990 MIM Tele
Taylor Big Baby

Last edited by sbruce; 10-19-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:10 AM

Hm, you should be able to get it much lower than that. I have an SB Custom at around 1.75 mm bass side. No one in your area familiar with the SBs who can set it up for you? Worst case scenario, you can send the guitar to Taylor & they'll put the new one in to factory settings and you can start again. (I broke my bridge in the exact same way btw -- I'm lucky I live in San Diego and I can just drive over to their factory whenever I need)
Old 10-20-2009, 06:48 AM

Thanks for the response. I live in the middle of nowhere Illinois. The closest shop @ all is a bit over an hour and they aren't familiar with Taylor. I already took it there and they couldn't get it lower. The only thing I can think of is that the neck angle must be messed up? I mean, pulling the screws out that control the action, it still won't go below 2mm.

Anyone know a reputable shop in the Louisville area? I'lll be there Friday and Saturday for a church conference.

Ibanez JS1
Ibanez jS10 Chrome Boy
Epiphone 335 Royale
Fernandes late 80's strat
1990 MIM Tele
Taylor Big Baby

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars