The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-05-2016, 02:33 PM

Default Fishman Ellipse Blend System - Anyone use it?

I'm looking into buying a Martin HD-28 custom that has this pickup installed from the factory. Has anyone used this pickup regularly? It's not the Aura version - just the UST and the mic - but I'd be using it with the Aura DI. I should also note that I'm a fan of the Fishman Matrix Infinity UST and use it often.

Please don't suggest other pickups - I'm looking for insight from folks who have used this pickup. Thanks!
Old 03-05-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalk View Post
I'm looking into buying a Martin HD-28 custom that has this pickup installed from the factory. Has anyone used this pickup regularly? It's not the Aura version - just the UST and the mic - but I'd be using it with the Aura DI. I should also note that I'm a fan of the Fishman Matrix Infinity UST and use it often.

Please don't suggest other pickups - I'm looking for insight from folks who have used this pickup. Thanks!
I would post this in the amplification section of the forum.

I did have the Ellipse Blend System in my Taylor for a good eight years. It's not a bad system at all but I wouldn't go back to it. I know they updated the gooseneck mic a few years ago but the one I had was the original. The gooseneck would never stay in place and would slowly fall into the guitar, it was a pain.

I found that I could never find a good balance between the mic and pickup. The mic always had feedback and it never really added anything pleasing. The control interface had a cool switch to add in my bass to the signal which I liked but the new Matrix Infinity has this as well.

The good thing about this system is that it's easy to pull out. If you want to use the Aura then I would suggest the Infinity. You could use it with the Ellipse but you probably won't use any mic.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:24 PM

I ordered my 2014 D-18 with the Ellipse Blend system, and was very happy with it. I played solo, and in my acoustic band, through various amps, and have been pleased with the simple blend control. I have had no feedback problems, and find it very natural sounding. I did not like the 1 3/4 nut on the D-18, and found a D-18V with the same E.B. system, only the older model with a different gooseneck on the mic. Again, very pleased, sounds similar to the newer model. I would have put it into my new Gibson 3/4 size LG-2 Arlo Guthrie, but the small body would not accommodate the E.B. I put the Baggs Anthem SL in, and feel the result is very similar to the Fishman in sound quality. The Baggs SL has a compact sound hole control, smaller than the Fishman, but does not have the same amount of adjustment as the E.B. I was very interested in a Guitar Center HD-28V-E, with the factory Fishman E.B. It was a bargain, but one dread is all I can squeeze through customs (my wife). I have owned the Takamine Cool Tube guitars, and of course played the various Aura systems, but the Ellipse Blend is simple, and sounds great.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:12 PM

Awesome, thanks. I think I'm pretty sold. I guess the only thing left to do now is make the [4 hour] drive to the store and pick out which one of the four I like the best!

I was originally thinking of getting the D-18 Retro or HD-28 Retro, but I like the idea of the narrower nut on this custom HD-28. Plus, even though there are a lot of controls inside the guitar, I think I prefer that over having them on the side, like the Retro's.

Last edited by mwalk; 03-06-2016 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:48 AM

We agree on the narrow nut. I'm sure you'll find a HD-28 you'll love from the selection. I also like the sound hole mounted controls, rather than the side, like the Retro's. If $ was no object I'd probably own a great dread w/o any electronics, in addition to my D-18. I do not feel the Fishman detracts from the tone, or volume. I think playing style has more to do with volume/projection, than anything. A heavy attack, with a fat pick, and medium strings will make a lot of noise, regardless of the electronics. Let us know if you pick up the new fiddle.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification