The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-23-2015, 02:52 PM

Default Gibson bridge plate

This is a '63 Gibson LG-0. Making a new bridge to replace the plastic one. I've also pulled bridge plate and am ready to replace it, but wondered if there is a better design or is it better to put it back original? This one is spruce (I think), but I plan to make a maple plate to replace it. I'm just thinking it could be smaller?

Last edited by bnjp; 01-23-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:15 PM

If i remember that is a ladder braced guitar and while i would also use maple, i would not make it smaller it helps strengthen the top. I made a maple plate for an old 1800'a parlor and it works well with light steel strings, sounds killer and stays flat. Be sure to remove the finish on the top before you glue your bridge on. You probably already knew that.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:34 PM

I agree with replacing with maple in the original shape. Also be sure to use a caul when drilling the pin holes. There is some merit to the idea of skewing the grain slightly so that all the pin holes are not in exactly the same grain line, although that would not be as important with maple.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:46 PM

I've been leaning toward making it a little shorter (side-to-side) but wider to close the gap between the braces.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:07 PM

I've seen ladder braced guitars where the bridge plate almost covers the entire width of the front. It is a kind of brace in ti's own right. If I were to change it at all I'd make it longer rather than shorter.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:54 AM

I thought this lefty just had a loose bridge until I found the poorly made bridge plate! Make your new one to fit correctly so that new bridge will stay attached. I think you will be amazed at the difference in tone with a good bridge and plate.

-r

Old 01-25-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
I've been leaning toward making it a little shorter (side-to-side) but wider to close the gap between the braces.
I agree and I wouldn't use any of the old bolts, just fill the holes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair