The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-02-2010, 07:57 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Default Martin Electrics

I'm not overly knowledgable about Martin guitars in general, but I do believe they have dabbled in electric guitars at times, but not with any great success. The fact that Taylor appears to be doing pretty good with their line-up of electrics, does anybody think Martin should seriously enter that territory?
Old 09-02-2010, 08:07 AM

I do not. I think a Martin electric would be looked at with great skepticism. It would need to be surpassingly good to get any traction.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I'm not overly knowledgable about Martin guitars in general, but I do believe they have dabbled in electric guitars at times, but not with any great success. The fact that Taylor appears to be doing pretty good with their line-up of electrics, does anybody think Martin should seriously enter that territory?
No offense, but I suggest you're apparently not overly knowledgeable about Taylor Guitars either...

The fact that Taylor has recently made major personnel changes in their A/R (artist relations), sales and marketing departments would indicate that they are not yet enjoying the success with their electrics that they were expecting. But then again, that's just my humble opinion and I'm sticking to it.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:54 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Side Man View Post
No offense, but I suggest you're apparently not overly knowledgeable about Taylor Guitars either...

The fact that Taylor has recently made major personnel changes in their A/R (artist relations), sales and marketing departments would indicate that they are not yet enjoying the success with their electrics that they were expecting. But then again, that's just my humble opinion and I'm sticking to it.
No offence taken. You're partly right in that I own a '02 Taylor 814ce, but I'm not up on all the current line-up let-alone the business side, especially with their electrics. Still, even if Taylor had not entered the electric world, should Martin? I'm just curious.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:05 AM

Back in the early 70s I had a Martin F-65 electric. It was a thin-line double cutaway archtop hollowbody with two DeArmond single coil pickups. It had a clear plexiglass(!) bridge. It was kind of like a Gibson ES 330.
Good guitar, but butt-ugly IMO. I played a lot of gigs with that guitar.

I doubt that Martin would include an electric line. They seem to be doing quite well just as they are. We've all seen Fender's attempts at making acoustics (ahem). Guitarists are a notoriously conservative lot when it comes to companies making guitars that don't seem to fit with our preconceived notions.

RevGeo
Old 09-02-2010, 10:08 AM

please post threads about electric guitars in the Electrified section of our forum......
Old 09-02-2010, 10:14 AM

Martin's electric guitars were a miserable failure primarily because the electronics were inferior. If you look at the history of the electric guitar's development, the real breakthroughs for Fender were their development of good single-coil pickups, and the Stratocaster bridge/vibrato. It is also important to remember that Fender's amplifiers were at least 50% of the equation.
For Gibson, it was their invention of the PAF humbucker which bolstered their success. In both cases, their most popular guitars are still just solid blocks of wood.
Martin still outsources all their electronics. I think they recognize their own limitations, and undertand what they do best.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00016SRGT View Post
Martin still outsources all their electronics. I think they recognize their own limitations, and undertand what they do best.
Wonder if and when that company who begins with a T and ends with aylor will recognize their own limitations?

Sorry - gotta run and go put on the flak jacket once again...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars