The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2017, 09:53 PM

Arrow Does constantly retuning wear out strings?

Just wondering.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Yes, if you go up or down by a fair amount, you're likely to break strings, especially E, G and D.

Normal "fine-tuning" where you stay in one tuning and just get your strings in tune, no.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:02 PM

I'm constantly changing tunings. Standard, open G, open D, sometimes Dadgad, nothing extreme. I've broken way more strings from retuning than from playing . But really, not that much. I change strings once every couple of months so I that's probably before they get a chance to wear out.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 03-26-2017, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
I'm constantly changing tunings. Standard, open G, open D, sometimes Dadgad, nothing extreme. I've broken way more strings from retuning than from playing . But really, not that much. I change strings once every couple of months so I that's probably before they get a chance to wear out.
I don't think I've ever broken a string playing. It always happens (to me) while tuning.

Last edited by rogthefrog; 03-26-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:10 PM

I don't know if brands or materials matter, but I change tuning frequently and haven't broken a string in years. I primarily use Elixir 80/20 and PB's.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:41 PM

If you mean "tuning" each time you play - then no. If you mean "re-tuning" like alternate tunings and you're changing tunings frequently - then very possibly.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
If you mean "tuning" each time you play - then no. If you mean "re-tuning" like alternate tunings and you're changing tunings frequently - then very possibly.
I use a number of different tunings on mountain dulcimer and five string banjo, as well as Dropped D and Double Dropped D on guitar. In my experience, changing the tensions of your strings a lot is the quickest way to kill them that there is.

Whenever I have an instrument at my guitar repairman's shop, and the work includes carving a new nut and saddle, I routinely include not one but two new sets of strings for the repair tech to use. Intonating a saddle properly involves a lot of tightening and loosening of the strings, a lot of going back and forth, and it wears out and deadens the strings way before their time.

So I ask the repairman to figure out the intonation using one set, then once it's dialed in, put on the second. That way I don't get the guitar back with half-dead strings.

My most recent example of this was with a new-to-me National mandolin that came my way, one that promised great tone but needed a LOT of set up work. In that instance I provided three sets of strings, because with the immense tension that goes on mandolins I knew that my repairman would almost certainly break a lot of strings as he got the instrument dialed in.

He did, and he was grateful that he had the surplus strings on hand to use as needed.

So, short version: yes, going between different tunings a lot definitely wears strings out a lot faster than if the guitar just stays in standard tuning all the time. This is with both uncoated and coated strings, because it's the metal of the strings that gets fatigued: the coating can't protect against that the way it does against corrosion.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-26-2017, 11:21 PM

IMO strings wear out where they are touched by fingers or, for coated strings, picks.

AFAIC, keeping your guitar in tune is mandatory.
I'd never just leave it out of tune so the strings last longer, even if that unlikely cause and effect was proven.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:55 PM

Tico, I wasn't talking about the routine of keeping a guitar in tune, and I don't think the OP was, either. If I read his post correctly, he was asking whether using different tunings a lot affects string life, and the answer is yes, it does. But just keeping your guitar in tune and adjusting it as needed is a different matter.

whm
Old 03-27-2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Tico, I wasn't talking about the routine of keeping a guitar in tune, and I don't think the OP was, either. If I read his post correctly, he was asking whether using different tunings a lot affects string life, and the answer is yes, it does. But just keeping your guitar in tune and adjusting it as needed is a different matter.

whm
Perhaps the OP will clarify.
I 'constantly retune' my guitar, every song or so.
IMO it's important to keep a guitar in tune ... even if you never tune to other than standard tuning E A D G B E.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:47 AM

I haven't broken a string whilst tuning since my days as a beginner. However.....I only ever use standard tuning. I used to break strings whilst playing regularly, typically I was playing pretty hard (strumming) and would usually break a string (usually G) half way through a church service necessitating having a spare guitar on stage. Haven't had that problem for a few years, though, different church and different band/playing styles.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Perhaps the OP will clarify.
I 'constantly retune' my guitar, every song or so.
IMO it's important to keep a guitar in tune ... even if you never tune to other than standard tuning E A D G B E.
I don't know anyone who doesn't keep their guitar in tune just to save their strings from wear and tear. I'm with WHM in reading the OP.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:32 PM

Based on my own experience, I'm convinced I wear strings out faster but changing tunings. I've had the high E break on me a few times over the years as the strings have been tuned from standard to alternate a number of times. I get a sense when to turn my head and have yet to be bitten by a snapping string.
Baby Taylor (spruce)
La Patrie Concert (cedar/mahogany)
Assorted Strats and Teles
Old 03-27-2017, 12:53 PM

Strings are metal, not elastic. So yes, it absolutely does.

Just part of the territory if you're a frequent alternate tuner. It's a great excuse to have multiple guitars.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-27-2017, 01:49 PM

Yes. I play in six different tunings. I try to avoid changing the tuning a lot with fresh strings, using different guitars. That also makes it easier to practice, since I just grab a guitar in the desired tuning rather than retuning all six strings. I save the recurring changes for the last one-third of string life. Since they are already going dead, I don't care if that finishes them off. My tunings range from standard down to F Wahine (CFCGCE) and a variant of Open C (CGEGCE). When the strings are getting close, I will work through all my tunings on one guitar, getting practice changing between tunings too.

I use extra wraps (3-5) around the tuning post, per a tip from David Wilcox. That way the string is bending around the wider diameter part of the capstan, reducing work-hardening of the wire. I rarely break a string when tuning down. If they break - still fairly rare - it will be while tuning back up from below.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion